New here.. new to braces.. *sigh*

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AmandaMS

#16 Post by AmandaMS »

Thanks everyone!

The tips for wax seem very helpful. I will definitely give them a try. Hopefully I can survive through the weekend. I'm going to try and take some Advil and eat dinner. Wish me luck!!

:soremouth:

sherria2z

#17 Post by sherria2z »

You get better with the wax, also. I use a tissue to dry off the bracket after I have warmed up a little piece of wax. If your fingers are dry and the bracket is dry, it sticks on there really well! It was really hard at first, but I can do it pretty quick now and it hasn't even been two weeks.

And the Glide Threader Floss is a life saver -- don't think I could floss without it!

$urge337

#18 Post by $urge337 »

Thanks everyone so much for your input and making me feel tons better!!

My braces went on 8/22/07 and today is 8/27/07 and i feel a bit better. I noticed that during the day, i only need wax on 2 of my teeth on the top. But at night i need to use wax on the back of my top row of teeth as well because it seems to pull my inside cheeks and it keeps waiting me up. Anyhow, like many has said my teeth don't hurt much. It was just a tad sore the second day or so but that was it. The metal was/is more annoying but im ok now.

Can't wait til my extractions, etc just because i will be a step closer to the final result.

$uRgE

dublingal

#19 Post by dublingal »

New to the site - got my top braces on 6 days ago but have bottom braces on 6 mths now. Have to say little bit depressed because top braces are pretty noticeable and my top lip is sticking out a bit because of braces. Ortho said i'll be wearing braces for approx 10 mths so its not that bad I suppose.
Just not feeling as sexy with the braces now :(

Miss Smiley

Re: Day 10 with braces

#20 Post by Miss Smiley »

sherria2z wrote:Does anyone else remember their molars hurting into the second week?? Is this normal??? I feel too stupid to call my ortho, plus it is Friday afternoon and they are gone.
My molars still hurt on and off. The wire doesn't just affect the "crooked looking" teeth, it tortures them all.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

ldowns99

#21 Post by ldowns99 »

As others have shared, it will get better and you'll get used to them over time. I remember that my first couple weeks were really hard and I wondered how I could ever eat anything again with these things on! But now I'm used to them and can eat most things that I could before.

I've been lucky with my mouth not getting torn up too badly, but when it's happened I used the salt water rinse solution and usually my sore spot is gone in a couple days.

I had a tooth extracted and I went with a combination of novocaine and laughing gas and everything went fine - it was over before I knew it and I had a fast recovery. It's easy to say "don't worry," but don't worry! :)

Most people I've encountered and know either don't notice the braces at all or ask me whay I decided to get them, what it's like, etc., and think it's cool. Best wishes to you and good luck!