Help please - UPDATE - with pics!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

simplyme

Help please - UPDATE - with pics!!

#1 Post by simplyme »

Hi guys,

Just had my braces on two days but have a few questions already...

Okay my teeth feel REALLY tender... in as far as i cannot put any pressure on my teeth because it really hurts! Is this normal and how long will it last for?

2) Some of my teeth are actually wobbly im afraid they are going to fall out lol - again is this normal?

3) I can't close my teeth without a) it hurting and b) my bottom incisors hit the insides of my upper incisors.... is this normal? Or is this happening because of the brackets on my teeth???

Lol i know im being silly but can they (orths) put on braces which make ur teeth bend the wrong way ! My upper teeth arn't that crooked yet they feel they are moving the most!! But my lower teeth are crooked and they are no way near as painful as my upper incisors (or canines... im unsure on the terms - VAMPIRE TEETH BASICALLY)

I can't eat cus it hurts to put pressure on my teeth thus chewing is a no go at the min... all of this normal?

thanks guys
Last edited by simplyme on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

My ortho explained that the teeth could feel like they're loose and about to fall out. Indeed that's how they felt. My teeth started moving and my whole bite was off.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

snickersandpennies

#3 Post by snickersandpennies »

I had the same problem with my upper brackets catching on the lower ones when I bit. After less than a month I think, my teeth shifted enough where I was able to bite down properly.

eggraid101

#4 Post by eggraid101 »

Those problems are all pretty normal, the pain should subside in 4-5 days, although maybeup to a week or two for some people.
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

lab117

#5 Post by lab117 »

Your upper teeth should not be hitting your brackets. If this is occuring you could damage your teeth especially if you have ceramic brackets. If this is the case you may want to contact your ortho and ask if he would like you to come back in to check.

dagwoman

Re: Help please - new to braces and need a few answers = (

#6 Post by dagwoman »

Hey!

I got braced about three weeks ago and I experienced everything you're describing. Luckily, by the one week mark the discomfort was minimal, and by the two week mark it was basically all gone (I say basically because every now and again my two front teeth at the top and bottom get a little wobbly feeling and sore, but only when there's pressure). So I'll go through your questions:

1. Yes, it is normal, and it'll probably last about a week, however after about 3 days it'll get a bit better each day. I found that my back teeth stopped hurting first, and the pain subsided slowly from back to front of my mouth.

2. Again, this is normal, and no need to worry. It means they're cooperating!

3. I had this exact problem, and it was something I really wasn't expecting. I'm not exactly sure why you have braces, so your experience with this may be different from mine, but I have crowding and a crossbite, and my midline is off. After about a week or a week and a half I was starting to be able to close my mouth without pain, and while it still feels a little different (because the brackets are a little in the way) it's not painful at all anymore.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how you're going!

neas

#7 Post by neas »

I have a bite plate to stop my 'bite' removing the brackets. I dont think its a good thing if your upper teeth are hitting your brackets as they could be chipped off.

Just be careful i guess.

dubnobass

#8 Post by dubnobass »

Your experiences all sound pretty 'normal' to me. Pain, wobbly teeth, check.

I would predict that -all- your teeth will feel wobbly before you are done - but this is how they move. They have to be 'loosened' from their current positions before they can move, which can take 4-6 weeks. Mine seem to loosen one at a time, and I could could tell they were about to 'go wobbly' because they would start to 'click' when pressure was put on them.

My first adjustment with my new wobbly teeth was quite unnerving - my teeth felt like they were made of rubber!

Once they finish moving, it can take 6-9 months for them to settle into their new positions and stop being wobbly.

If you have a deep bite or overbite, it might be expected that your lower brackets might hit your upper teeth. Your orthodontist will probably have looked out for this and would have taken steps if they thought it was a problem. I would suggest that you should ask for further advice if you a) have ceramic lower brackets (these are hard, and might chip your upper teeth), or b) you find that you've knocked one of your lower brackets off.
Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much - just mention it at your next appointment.

As for soreness, everyone's experiences are different. My teeth moved a lot initially and I didn't really chew properly for 3 months - that's how long it took for them to stop being sore enough to contemplate chewing! Some people finding that chewing on sore teeth stops them being sore.. but mine were too sore to even try that. Don't feel bad if they hurt - for some people, it can be painful.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

simplyme

#9 Post by simplyme »

Wow what a helpful community!!!

Thanks for all your answer - i re-checked my teeth.

My upper teeth are NOT hitting my brackets afterall.... that is just the feeling of my bottom incisors scraping the insides of my upper teeth that correspond to my bottom incisors... - probably upper incisors LOL.

Sigh but this sounds normal = (

Its been three days and the pain is okay... i.e. not present until i eat and then all hell breaks loose!! Sigh i am gettin very bored of yoghurt.... HOWEVER, i have now learnt to chew with my tongue lol. I smush the food up on the roof of my mouth with my tongue... then swallow - gross i know !

Also i guess you are right - teeth are moving that do not appear to be crooked - i guess i was just expecting crooked teeth to move... hmm oh well! I also think my brackets are made of like rubber or something - not ceramic.

Basically the whole of my middle teeth hurt the most like the five from the middle on the top - and the five in the middle on the bottom. Molars arn't too bad!!

Oh well.... needles to say... im 'bracing' myself :lol:

simplyme

#10 Post by simplyme »

Here are the pics... OMG these are insanely good quality from my camera - in a bad way. I LOOK FUGLY AS LOL - my teeth look yellow :shock: i swear they are not yellow as i look at them normall!!

Sigh anyway... i now have a gap in my teeth like you can see in my third pic... they have only been on 3 days.... i didn't have this gap before yet now i do when i close my teeth... again normal????

Sorry for the Qs!!

What are my teeth like lol? I am planning on filing and whitening when i get this metal city out of my mouth!
http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 381av2.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9256/dsc00382yz9.jpg

I guess that vampire type tooth on the bottom will have to have a vaneer or something...?