Post-braces; teeth shifting after wisdom tooth extraction?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jetgirl

Post-braces; teeth shifting after wisdom tooth extraction?

#1 Post by Jetgirl »

Hi all,

I have been out of braces for a couple years now. Just this week I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted, and I'm a little concerned about my teeth shifting and ruining all the hard work I went through previously!

I'm considering going back to my orthodontist to see if they can adjust my hawley retainers (I still have them, though I admit I haven't worn them frequently) or if I can get a new set of retainers made. Has anyone else done this? How much do I really need to worry about my teeth shifting?

Thanks!
Jet
Braces on: June 2003
Braces off: June 2005

Pictures of my braces journey

oceanblue

#2 Post by oceanblue »

Not to freak you out, but after having all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out my teeth (lowers more so) shifted pretty badly. Maybe if I had worn my retainers after the procedure it wouldn't have been as bad?
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Ocean, I'm assuming that this was in a "previous" braces treatment?

I was thinking while I was reading this that you still had your upper braces on this time. So it must have been when you were a kid.

Do you think it was from the molars being removed or from the retainer wear? :?: Or do you think it was from both....
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

PARR

#4 Post by PARR »

If your wisdoms were errupted and a presence in your arches, once they are gone there is room and yes things will shift, slowly over time. A small shift will set you chewing differently which in turn etc...Frankly you have answered your own question, so see your orthodontist for :
1) are these retainers still working for me?
2) should i get new molds made as soon as the swelling goes down etc?
3) how often should I wear them for adequate retention?

Jetgirl

#5 Post by Jetgirl »

Thanks guys!

I got out my retainer and while the bottom still fits great, the top is a bit snug and almost doesn't quite fit. I've already noticed a lot of shift on the top; trying to floss between my front teeth there was no resistance (normally these teeth are a little snug). I'm going to wear these overnight and see if they will settle back in.

Either way, I think I'll make an appointment with my Ortho to see what he recommends.

Thanks!
Braces on: June 2003
Braces off: June 2005

Pictures of my braces journey

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I really think it has way more to do with not wearing retainers than having your wisdom teeth removed.

My son stopped wearing his retainers after 2 years and his teeth have moved a lot since then and his retainers don't fit at all.

I agree with Meryaten, wear them a few nights a week and they'll probably stay put better.....regardless of the 4th molar removal.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm