For those with a lingual bar...and anyone who can answer...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raninhas

For those with a lingual bar...and anyone who can answer...

#1 Post by raninhas »

Does flossing get easier?
Next apptm I'll have my impressions taken to a bottom lingual bar.
The thing is, being flossing as hard as it is with just the wire, with the lingual bar it will be near impossible!

Wht do you think? Share your experiences, please!

raninhas

#2 Post by raninhas »

No one? Really? :cry:

SarahLu

#3 Post by SarahLu »

Hello raninhas,

im not sure what a lungual bar is :oops: i have a nance appliance - is that the same thing or similar?

raninhas

#4 Post by raninhas »

Hi SarahLu...I don't know, but I don't think it's the same thing. Thanks for replying though :lol:

SarahLu

#5 Post by SarahLu »

Well if it is the same thing, i have had mine in since thursday and have not been able to floss as my mouth is so sensitive. I am also having trouble with eating and with my speech but i am told that this will get better. Once the sensitivity has gone i dont think it will affect flossing as it is against my mouth rather than my teeth - hope that helps?

raninhas

#6 Post by raninhas »

Actually, SarahLu, I've been searching on the net for nance appliances and I think it's the same thing (or really similar).
My ortho told me it would affect my speech a little, and it would be annoying to my tongue. But that I'd get used to it pretty soon.

SarahLu

#7 Post by SarahLu »

Yea mine is annoying to my tongue as it constantly rests against it but i am slowly getting used to it.

I have not experienced pain as such, just discomfort and more of an annoyance but im sure our results will be worth it in the end :)

Good luck!!

jorx

#8 Post by jorx »

Hi,

I have both a Nance appliance and a lingual ARCH. The nance is a piece of plastic resting on my palate connected to my molars, while the lingual arch is actually an arch on the back of my lower teeth. I'm not sure if you mean the same thing, in any case flossing is much more difficult with the lingual arch, but besides that, and some tongue sores, it is not a big deal...

The nance is somewhat more annoying, as it interferes with the speech a little bit. But I wore for a few weeks a TPA before getting the nance and, at least for me, it was much worse, specially for my tongue...

Andantae

#9 Post by Andantae »

I have a lower lingual arch wire, and other than having a little trouble with 'th' and 's' sounds in the beginning, I hardly know it's there. I don't find it adds any difficulty to flossing. The lingual arch rests slightly lower than the gumline on my lower arch.. I also have a TPA and it has never bothered me. I know this appliance gives some people trouble as it irritates the tongue, but mine follows the roof of my mouth quite closely so I hardly notice it.

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM