Differences of GA or IV??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

Differences of GA or IV??

#1 Post by poloaa »

I will have my three wisdom teeth removed on 17th (monday morning). I have checked w/the web that saying GA is more riskly then IV because they may put the tube in the throat or something to make u breath, is that true? HOw could they remove the teeth when the tube is there? It sounds so scary to me. I have been telling my oral surgeon i would like to put under, but i am not sure which procedure he is going to give me. I will ask him details on the phone tomorrow. If anyone can come up w/anything, pls let me know, thanks so much.
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

PrincessMelody

#2 Post by PrincessMelody »

I had my wisdom teeth extracted under what they called in the office GA, but it was IV sedation. I was "out" for about 30 minutes and don't remember anything. I was very very groggy waking up and equated it to being a bit drunk :lol: I slept most of that day, but didn't feel any pain. The great thing about GA/IV sedation is they still give you local anesthetic (after you are already sedated) so that when you wake up you are numb and can't feel anything. My mom being the great mommy that she is went and filled my prescriptions for me so that right when my local wore off I had my vicodin nice and handy to "numb" me up again. I didn't have any pain the following days and only took the 600mg ibuprofen they gave me to help with the swelling. I also got some antibiotics to ward off any infection while the extractions sites healed.

I've also had a tooth removed under just local and it wasn't bad either, although I would much prefer the one little prick I had for the IV then for the 4 injections I had to get that tooth pulled. 3 of the injections were palatal (as the tooth was "wayward" and was residing in my palate) and those weren't the most pleasant. But the actual extraction part was fine as it didn't take very long and all I felt was pressure (not at all painful, just there).
So if you are nervous about the sedation, go for just local.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

Cor1

Twilight sedation for me..........

#3 Post by Cor1 »

Hi there, I had three of my wisdom teeth removed, and my oral surgeon used Twilight sedation for me, and let me just say THAT WAS THE BEST EVER DENTAL PROCEDURE I EVER HAD DONE!!!!!! :lol: :lol: BECAUSE I DON'T REMEMBER A THING!!!! And I had very little pain and swelling after, a bit of bleeding , but you just chomp down on your gauze pads and it stops, and keep up your pain meds if ya need them, and hopefully all will go well for you..............GOOD LUCK TO YA!!!!

COR1

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

GA is a stronger type of anesthetic used than IV sedation. You can technically have IV sed in the morning and drive yourself home sometime before the afternoon is up. GA you'll be groggy all day and for people who move around alot or need heavier sedating for more difficult procedures. In the office I worked at, they used GA for people whose impacted wisdoms were very close to the nerve. The less movement, the more precise the OS could be from hitting and damaging that nerve in your lower jaw.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hahaha I was always offered to have my extractions done using IV but I always said no thank you, I'll take local!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

JoviFan

#6 Post by JoviFan »

I've opted for an IV drip in 2 days for my 2 upper bicuspids :) can't wait......pulling healthy teeth - I don't want to know a thing that they're doing!!! :? :shock:
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

PrincessMelody

#7 Post by PrincessMelody »

Two of my wisdoms were impacted. Thanks, but if they're digging out teeth that are so intent on staying hidden, I wanted to be out! To each his own, eh?
Yeah, I know what you mean Meryaten. The day I went into the oral surgeon's office I still hadn't fully decided if I was going to do IV or local. The oral surgeon was SOOO nice (as well as VERY good looking :lol: ) and answered all my questions. I had one wisdom tooth that had partially erupted and was sideways. I was curious and asked how they were going to remove that and the minute he said they would have to cut the gum, saw the tooth in half, then dig around for the rest I decided on IV sedation. Just the thought of all that freaked me out. Plus he assured me the IV would be placed in my arm not my hand, which was another one of my "freak outs". Then he also explained that the local would probably be 4 shots for each tooth and that to me far outweighed the one prick for the IV. I hate hate hate needles so that was a huge factor too.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

poloaa

#8 Post by poloaa »

Thanks for everyone's replies and you help me a lot to understand the differences. So i could request the OS doing the IV for me instead of the GA by the time i go there on monday morning. (man, time flies, i m scared to death), haahahahaha. He did tell me my upper ones are easy to remove, but not sure about the lower right one. but he did remove my other upper teeth BEFORE my braces treatment on Apr. last year. He was so professional and fast and nice too. Actually i think it is scary to think rather than u really get to the place before get things done. When i got there last time, i was so calmed. But wisdom teeth are really something to me...people who i know got their wisdom teeth removed told me the same, OS tried sooooooooooooooooooo hard to move the teeth out, but no pain, sound scary.
Good luck to me on monday. Thanks again.
35 years old, mom of two

poloaa

#9 Post by poloaa »

Today is the day to pull off three wisdom teeth. I ended up choosing local to do the things. I did ask the OS if i feel no pain, then i prefer the local instead of the under one. He said he could finish the work within 10 mins. That sounds very easy to me, so i trust him and i got two shots on each tooth. The time he pulled my teeth, i could not believe in how fast he did that. He could finish pulling three of them within 4 or 5 mins. Very fast, thanks god. I felt no pain, just pressure and heard the cracking sound of my bone. It was bleeding so bad on the first 3 hours. I was like a Vampire when i opened my mouth, lol. Then later i could not wait to eat yogurt and thai noodles, haha. I just want to thanks everyone here. I feel great now. NO med taken so far, the OS is SUPER.
po
35 years old, mom of two

JoviFan

#10 Post by JoviFan »

poloaa wrote:Today is the day to pull off three wisdom teeth. I ended up choosing local to do the things. I did ask the OS if i feel no pain, then i prefer the local instead of the under one. He said he could finish the work within 10 mins. That sounds very easy to me, so i trust him and i got two shots on each tooth. The time he pulled my teeth, i could not believe in how fast he did that. He could finish pulling three of them within 4 or 5 mins. Very fast, thanks god. I felt no pain, just pressure and heard the cracking sound of my bone. It was bleeding so bad on the first 3 hours. I was like a Vampire when i opened my mouth, lol. Then later i could not wait to eat yogurt and thai noodles, haha. I just want to thanks everyone here. I feel great now. NO med taken so far, the OS is SUPER.
po
Congrats!!!! Glad to hear everything went well!!!! I opted for the IV drip - I'm a chicken !! LOL --- but am soo glad I did....on the 3rd day post extractions, so far so good :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07