Sensitivity...Normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

minlou01

Sensitivity...Normal?

#1 Post by minlou01 »

I just had an adjustment today and my ortho said to expect quite a bit of pressure. The pressure is intense but I can deal with that with the help of a bit of Ibuprofen. However, about 2 hours after the adjustment my entire upper arch and palate became extremely sensitive to both heat and cold. I'm having a hard time eating anything. Even luke warm oatmeal caused these really sharp pains that last for 3-4 minutes. Is this normal?

Thanks! :D

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

travelbug

#2 Post by travelbug »

I've been braced for 5 months and a few weeks ago I had a similar problem where a few of my teeth were EXTREMELY sensitive to cold. Never mind eating or drinking, it was to the point where it even hurt just to smile because the air hitting my teeth felt painfully cold!

I tried using Sensodyne toothpaste - and the sensitivity cleared up VERY quickly, within just a few days! You may want to try using Sensodyne, too.