Anyone got a screw in their jaw...? What's it like?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dramaqueendaisy

Anyone got a screw in their jaw...? What's it like?

#1 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

So...just got home from my third adjustment with new wires and longer powerchains and an information sheet about 'Mini Temporary Anchorage Devices' :shock: My Ortho has suggested if I am willing that I have one fitted at my next appointment...bit scary.

Anyone else got one? Do they hurt? What should I expect? Any advice gratefully received... :Questions:

Thanks!

5 teeth out during Feb 07

Ceramics top and bottom Friday 9 March 2007

Braces removed (!!) and permanent retainers fitted Monday 24 May 2010

Essix retainers Wednesday 26 May 2010

unimaginative

#2 Post by unimaginative »

I dont know my way around here that well........how do i get to lisa65's page? I am curious about this other anchors as well.

lovesupreme08

Mini-Implant

#3 Post by lovesupreme08 »

I just got my appliances on Tuesday, I will be going back on October 4 to get a mini implant in the lower jaw that will hopefully pull the third molar up far enough so I can get a bridge or some implants for the missing two molars on the left side. After reading Lisa's posts I am a bit afraid of the whole thing.

Erika

dramaqueendaisy

#4 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Er...yep. I'm with you...sounds a bit scary! :shock:

macca

#5 Post by macca »

Hi Dramaqueendaisy,
I've currently got two mini-implant screws in my gum on the lower left-hand side, to help with closing an extraction gap by pulling the molars forward. They were supposed to go on the right-hand side as well, but the gap is closing well enough by itself.
Anyway enough of myself, just to let you know I found no problem at all when having them put in, and since then have got on just fine with them (they've been in about 10 months so far).
I won't go into the details, but the anaesthetic numbs everything out and you don't feel any pain at all. Even after it wore off I could not really feel any serious pain. There is a small chance your jaw bone might reject the implant, but it's only a small chance (about 5% I've heard).
These implants are becoming very popular now as they are much better than the prospect of extra-oral devices like headgear, I would defintely say go for it - do check out Lisa65's thread as well for more information.

Hope it all goes well.

dramaqueendaisy

#6 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Thanks for that Macca! I'm only having one implant in my gum...my ortho is going to do it at my next adjustment in November. He's not mentioned headgear to me yet but if that's the alternative then, personally, i think I'll definitely go for the implant. I've had five teeth out earlier this year so it can't be much worse than that! (Although that wasn't too bad actually...)

Anyway, thanks for the moral support...I'll keep you posted how I get on! :D