most movement in first few days after adjustment ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SandraJones

most movement in first few days after adjustment ?

#1 Post by SandraJones »

I don't remember this at all from my 'teen braces experience ...

I'm beginning to think that I will see max movement within the first few days of an adjustment, and the rest of the time between adjustments (4 weeks for me) will be mostly settling of the teeth into their new positions, bone will be filling it, etc. Does anyone know this to be the case or have experienced this yourself ?

I'm also wondering if certain movements are easier than others. I had upper incisors that were pro- and retroclined and they are moving into better positions rather rapidly. My rotated teeth are moving a little less rapidly, and my tilted teeth are the slowest.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm not sure about the proclined and retroclined spiel, but I know that I had some days where I would see some major movement with powerchains in the first few days or the week before my next adjustment. It was dependant on how my teeth were feeling. My mouth is tempermental.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I'm also wondering if certain movements are easier than others. I had upper incisors that were pro- and retroclined and they are moving into better positions rather rapidly. My rotated teeth are moving a little less rapidly, and my tilted teeth are the slowest.

Same problem here! I was supposed to get a new archwire on my uppers, but my tilted second lateral had not moved too much, so it was impossible to place the new wire. argh. It really movew slowly.

DavidT

#4 Post by DavidT »

There have been times when I've noticed a lot of movement w/in 24 hours and then nothing for three weeks. I think that's typical. As is the case with braces in general, it takes a lot longer to retain then it does to move.

Even if something moves .5 mm it's great for progress but not visible to the eye.

platinum

#5 Post by platinum »

I have some movement immediately after adjustment. But then suddenly after three weeks or so I my teeth strt to feel tender again.this happens especially with levelling archwire.

Thathrill

#6 Post by Thathrill »

Movement depends on your body and what is being done after the adjustment. As for me I get movement all the time in between adjustments.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

SandraJones

#7 Post by SandraJones »

The comment about the levelling archwire made me think ... I am just at the beginning of my treatment and I have the lightest beginner archwire in place. I got a new one of the same type at my first adjustment, I'm not ready for a heftier wire. I'm wondering if the lightweight archwire is not good at doing certain movements, like pushing tilted teeth upright.
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

However, once you progress to rectangular wires, these can apply the counterbalancing couple that is needed to torque the roots more upright if needed, because of the way its rectangular cross-section interacts with the shape of the slot in the bracket.
My round wire is hardly acting with one of my crooked tooth. It is not properly in the slot. Waiting for the new wire.

SandraJones

#9 Post by SandraJones »

That makes sense about the archwire cross sections having different effects. My husband and I are amazed at the progress I've made so far, it's exciting to think of what will happen later as my orthodontist uses different archwires to fix my problems. And class II elastics will come into play at some point, I'm guessing after the arches and alignment have been established.

SandraJones

#10 Post by SandraJones »

Many thanks for your info, Meryaten !

Hey, now I've really gone overboard ... I just shelled out $40 for 30-day access to the archives of the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics. :-) I've read about half a dozen articles so far, most pertaining to class II malocclusion. I read an interesting article proposing that proper occlusion should be based on the incisors, not the molars. There was also a $15 24-hour access but I decided I needed more time. :-)

SandraJones

#11 Post by SandraJones »

LOL !! I don't even have to ask you if angle.org is in your bookmarks, I *know* it is ! :-)

SandraJones

#12 Post by SandraJones »

Well that makes sense to me. I'll see if I can find the incisors article.

I'm class II, uppers almost 1/2 tooth ahead on one side (so nearly cusp to cusp), just a bit more than 1/4 tooth ahead on the other side. I would actually be happy with class II if my overjet were less pronounced, and I think it will be before we even start the elastics treatment.

I had alternating retroclined and proclined upper incisors, the retroclined ones masking my overjet. Now that the upper incisors are in better position the overject is revealed. At the worst point it's more than 3 mm but that upper central is still slightly proclined. I think when it's in proper position my overjet will be approx 2.5mm.

My lower arch is flattened in the incisor area. I think the lower incisors are bit retroclined and when pulled into better incline position will help to round out the arch and reduce my overjet. I don't know what acceptable overjet is, but I would be happy with 1.5 - 2 mm.

I can certainly understand the drive to fully correct a young person's class II. But at my age (46), and considering I have a lot of facial "imperfections", I'm primarily interested in my teeth looking better, not as perfect as possible. I'm interested to see how my teeth look at the point when my orthodontist decides to have me wear the elastics. I might just bypass them, or choose to use them for only part of the total length of time my orthodontist desires. I can say that I don't want my lower teeth pulled forward and I'm afraid that's what is going to happen with the elastics. I've been class II nearly all of my life, and it's never caused me any problems that I'm aware of.

I'm rambling, sorry. :-)