6 Tooth Smile

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DavidT

6 Tooth Smile

#1 Post by DavidT »

As I'm closing in on debanding, I'm concerned my dentist extracted teeth unneccesarily. I now now only see six upper teeth when I smile. Is that narrower than most people? How many upper teeth are visible when you smile? I know ten is "ideal", but is 6 abnormal?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

(Hauls out mirror and thinks about pending holiday...)

I'd say about 8 of my upper pearly whites show. I suspect you may find people who've had extractions who show more than that number and then those who've not had extractions who show less than 10.

I try never to speculate on what may have been because you can't change history. :D

ABraces2007

#3 Post by ABraces2007 »

I actually never thought of it and agree with Maryaten, it probably more influential how wide your mouth is then the number of teeth.
As for me, i can see fully 8 teeth from the front view and the profile view shows me 5 teeth on each side with my way of smile...
Intresting question, though

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

This surly is an individual thing as my ortho said he'd get me 6-8 teeth. I never really thought about counting them until now. I show 12 from the front!! (you can count for yourself below...maybe I'm counting wrong?)

Mind you, I have a very BIG mouth in that when I smile my big smile, my lips are very wide as well.

Some people are very tight-lipped and no matter how wide their arch is, will only show 6 teeth. I just checked my hubby and he has to really try to shows 6.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

DavidT

#5 Post by DavidT »

Thanks for the input! I supposed quantifying things are individualistic. The problem is: I'm not happy. I think my smile is too narrow for my mouth. Can it be widened again? Is that possible?

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I smile and all of my teeth show, like in the pictures from my braces story. I smile like a shark, I show em all!!!!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

sKeMo LiSa

Re: 6 Tooth Smile

#7 Post by sKeMo LiSa »

DavidT wrote: is 6 abnormal?
I think its rather normal, i show 6 yet i have a small face and mouth, but it seems normal to me.

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

Before braces I had 6-teeth smile. I hope that after my treatment I will have wider smile.