I floss and I still have gum issues.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceKate

I floss and I still have gum issues.

#1 Post by BraceKate »

Just today my dentist was complimenting me on my "exceptional oral hygiene." Then she probed around some more, and said my gums were bleeding. I'm not surprised, because I had noticed some bleeding while flossing in a back tooth for reasons I just don't understand. I floss every single day.

She said she was surprised herself, because my gums indeed look nice and pink and healthy, and upon first inspection, she was very impressed. Nonetheless, after some more probing around came the bleeding. She advised a deep cleaning, which is going to cost me over $600 as it's not covered by my insurance.

As I'm poor as it is, I debated heavily and decided to do it anyway, because they have a special payment plan, and also because my dentist said she will document the reasons behind said cleaning well, in the hopes that my insurance might cover it. And I reason, what's a little poverty now, when I'd like to keep my teeth forever.

I am so diligent about brushing and flossing. My orthodontist has been quite proud of me. So I'm really not understanding why the bleeding is so bad. I've been prescribed special mouth wash, and I have some new little brushes to get up between gums. I really hope this does the trick.

Somewhere on here, someone had said, I think, that just having an adjustment can make your gums tender. As I'm now in elastics most of the day, I'm wondering if that could have contributed?

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

Deep cleaning is a good thing! My gums were bleeding, but after deep cleaning my gums have not bleed anymore.
It is expensive but worth of it! I paid $800 for deep cleaning! It took total two appointments, but I tell you it really was worth of it!

I don't have too much money nor insurance, so I struggled to pay it...

Andantae

#3 Post by Andantae »

May I ask what the "deep cleaning" consists of? What do they do, or rather, how is it perfomed?

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

jonesortho

#4 Post by jonesortho »

I'd like to add to this discussion. I've done quite a bit of hygiene work, so I'm pretty familiar with deep cleanings (also known as Scaling and Root Planing). Gums bleed due to inflammation. Inflammation in gums is almost always due to bacterial irritation (bacteria are in plaque and tartar on your teeth). I believe that you are doing a great job of cleaning your teeth with the braces on, but sometimes the appliances (braces, bands, wires, etc) can prove to be such an obstacle to cleaning that some trouble spots persist. That's why many orthodontists and general dentists insist on 3-4 month cleaning recalls during ortho treatment. I hope you aren't too discouraged by the news. Getting the deep cleaning is the right thing to do if you have inflammation and pocketing and your dentist recommends it. Once your braces are removed, perfect hygiene will be more achievable and you are not likely to need future deep cleanings. But remember to floss everyday!
The braces themselves don't cause the bleeding, it's the plaque that does. The deep cleaning usually involves the hygienist or dentist getting your gums profoundly numb so that they can clean your teeth to the entire depth of the pockets. This will remove all build up of plaque and tartar (aka calculus) that are on your teeth, below the gum line. They will also use instruments that will polish the surface of your teeth so they are clean and smooth. This allows the gums to heal and will encourage the gums to adhere tightly to the teeth, eliminating the pockets and making them easier to clean in the future. It is not an uncomfortable procedure at all and you should experience little to no soreness afterward. It's not something to be nervous about. I really hope that the insurance can help you out here.
You should be proud of yourself for investing in the health of your teeth. It's a gift that keeps on giving!

Andantae

#5 Post by Andantae »

Thank you! That is VERY helpful!!! I think I am going to ask my dentist about this.

ANDI
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

jonesortho

#6 Post by jonesortho »

I should be specific in saying that deep cleanings are reserved for patients that are having problems with pocketing (pocket readings of about 5 mm or greater), inflammation, and/or tartar build-up below the gum line. These things are best diagnosed by your hygienist and dentist. Not everyone is a candidate for deep cleaning nor does everyone need it. There are several diagnostic factors that go into deciding if this procedure is warranted. So, Andantae, I'd ask your hygienist about it, but it is likely that if they haven't recommended it, it may not be warranted in your case.

Genie

#7 Post by Genie »

Hi! Nobody said anything about it but I thought gum bleeding could be due to some health problems as well. Given that you have brushed well and your dentist couldn't find any problem, maybe you should consult a doctor?
19th May 2007- Two right premolars extracted
26th May 2007- Two left premolars extracted and spacers in
2nd June 2007- Upper arch braced
5th July 2007- Lower arch braced
I have all metal conventional brackets
Looking forward to straight teeth and nice smile

cosmicgirl

#8 Post by cosmicgirl »

Menstrual cycle could affect gums, causing them to bleed. Also, you become so much more sensitive to pain just before your period, so try not to make adjustment appointments around this time.
Have you been taking aspirin? That thins the blood and can make you bleed easier too (a good reason NEVER to take it for menstrual cramps)
I'm presuming you're female... if you're a bloke, then I have absolutely no idea so dismiss the above!