Utilising space created by wisdom teeth by mini-screws

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

8shanell8

Utilising space created by wisdom teeth by mini-screws

#1 Post by 8shanell8 »

Hi there,

I was just wondering whether anyone on this board has ever had their orthodontist suggesting this method to them?

I've got my top 2 wisdom teeth out previously and when i decided to get braces, i asked the orthodontist whether the space created by the wisdom tooth could be utilised. He mentioned that he could use mini-screws (as an anchorage) to pull the row of teeth backwards to create the necessary space. No extractions will be needed then.

I like the idea that no extractions will be required, but the thought of moving the whole ROW of teeth backwards seems abit daunting....

The other method would be straight forward and involves taking out 4 tooth.

I'm in a struggle which option to take up!!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Shanell

SandraJones

#2 Post by SandraJones »

Shanel, I also need my uppers pulled back (I'm a class II) so I've been doing a lot of reading. I think you will be amazed that it can be done, and fixed anchorage will probably work very well for you. I know it sounds gross to have screws imbedded in your maxilla, but I think the more you read about it the less gross it will seem.

Extractions would probably make the orthodontist's job easier, but think long and hard before you have good teeth taken out. I'm not implying that it shouldn't be done, but if your teeth are healthy and there is an alternate option, don't be too hasty to go the extraction route. I can tell you that if my choices were extractions or screws, I would not hesitate to have screws. In fact, my orthodontist said she will use elastics to correct my class II and I don't like the idea of my uppers pulling on my lowers, I think even in this case I would almost rather have screws !
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

ABraces2007

#3 Post by ABraces2007 »

mini-screws are very advanced technology and can make the treatment faster and easier as once they`re fixed anchorage. in my preference, i would go with screws, no doubt if i could, however it supposes an increment to your treatment costs- screws are about 500$-1000$ each.
and the other good part of it is that you`ll not get your teeth pulled out.
Good luck with your decision!

Clo

#4 Post by Clo »

Hi,

I posted here several times (in the metal mouth forum) about my experiences
with bone anchors. Like in :

viewtopic.php?t=20690&start=0
viewtopic.php?t=21029&start=0
viewtopic.php?t=21310&highlight=

I just had another adjustment today. Now the elastics go to some place before
my upper canines. To pull all my upper teeth backwards. I know it can be done.
At least I hope so. But it will take some time. My case involves also an open
bite in the front. Not making things easier. This is only starting for me. But I
know this. If this could be an alternative to extractions then this would be just
great. I did grasp this option with both my hands. If your ortho can do this, and
if he is convinced that it could work in your case, then go for it.

Good luck Shanell !

8shanell8

#5 Post by 8shanell8 »

Thanks all for your replies!

I have an overjet of about 10mm and i was worried that this method would not create enough space to close the gap. That's the only reason why i am considering taking teeth out to provide the necessary space.

Oh, and i didn't want my bottom teeth shifted out any further because they were already protruding. If any, i think i'll need them shifted backwards as well.

I don't wanna go for the non-extraction path and then end up with a set of straight teeth but with a mouth still protruding. :? It's so confusing!! I'm afraid to make the wrong decision...

The orthodontist did mention that he'll bear the cost of the mini screws so at least cost is out of the question.

And another question, is it alot to have 8 teeth taken out (not at one go), we've only got 32 teeth and 8 is 25% of it. Lol... My bottom wisdom teeth are impacted so would have to removed if they start causing trouble anyway.
Last edited by 8shanell8 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I barely have room for all of my teeth even with 1st pre-molar extractions, how does everyone else have so much room?! My jaws hardly have any room behind my molars! I guess I didn't drink enough milk when I was growing up.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SandraJones

#7 Post by SandraJones »

Miss Smiley, maybe you have wide molars and a small jaw ? Or something like that ?
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Clo

#8 Post by Clo »

Hi,

yes, 10 mm is indeed a lot. It is about the size of a molar width. So, your second
molars would need to end in the place where the wisdom teeth once were. This
will take a while and will change your bite a lot. You really need to ask these
questions when you see your ortho. There is one advantage about mini screws
and going for that option. Your ortho can see rather quickly if this works. If it
does, then this is good. If it doesn't, then you still can have the extractions. But
if you have the extractions first, then there is no way of return anymore. Oh dear,
I am not making this easier for you I fear. Like I said, ask these very important
questions when you have another appointment.

8shanell8

#9 Post by 8shanell8 »

I gave my ortho a call today and he mentioned that if i really wanted a flatter profile, then i would have to go down the extraction method because my lower teeth are actually also abit out of place, it's slanting at approx 120 degrees instead of the normal 110 degrees i think. So i dun have much of a chin actually! lol. well at least personally i think it's due to that.

And he mentioned that micro screws don't work on lower teeth as well as they do on upper, so he can't guarantee that it will work. so i really have to sit down and crack my head on deciding which to go for...

He also said that with 8 teeth out everything in there will still function properly, so at least that's abit of a reassurance.

Thanks for all the advice given! They've all been very very helpful to me!

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Shanell

I see Meryaten has been using me as an example again :P I have mini implant screws, which are being used to pull all my top teeth back. My overjet was about 8mm to start with. My ortho has managed to gain me about 1/2 molar's worth of space on each side by using the screws, which should be enough. It took about 5 months to move those molars as they were slow to get going and we had a few hiccups, but the rest should be easier and quicker.

If you want to know anything about the miniscrews etc just PM me.

Lisa

8shanell8

#11 Post by 8shanell8 »

Hi Lisa!

Good to know it's progressing so well for you! I've actually decided to go down the extractions path as i didn't want problems with my bite later on as i've got quite abit of shifting to be done, plus i've decided that i wanna shift the bottom teeth inwards as well.

But I may ask the orthodontist about closing the gaps usings mini screws as well. I heard they help close the gaps quicker! But then i'm not sure whether he'll want to charge me extra for it then.. lol.

Thanks!

Shanell