Premolar extractions- update and help needed on dry socket !

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overseasmel

Premolar extractions- update and help needed on dry socket !

#1 Post by overseasmel »

For those of you who have had any of your premolars (4s or 5s) extracted in the dentist's chair:

- how long did it take you to recover?
- did you need any time off work? (if so, how long)?
- was there any swelling?

I have two coming out at 9.15am on the 2nd of October and am having a bit of a romantic long weekend 5th-7th of October, so I am hoping I'll be fine by then! (The dental nurse assures me I'll be fine the next day, but I am a doubter from way back ;) ).

Thanks!
Last edited by overseasmel on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

dubnobass

#2 Post by dubnobass »

I had no time off work and no swelling. I had some bleeding which lasted for 5-6 hours or so before it stopped, and that made me feel rather queasy. I ate soft foods for a few days but was otherwise back to normal the next day.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

Odessa

#3 Post by Odessa »

I had one premolar pulled last Monday. There was absolutely no pain before or after. I took 2 advil as a precaution but I probably didn't even need those. I was back to work the next morning after having it pulled at 3:00pm the day before. The biggest nuisance is the bleeding. Once that stopped I was great. The only other thing that's a pain is brushing and flossing. You just have to be careful around the extraction sites. There was a tiny bit of swelling but it was gone by morning. It just felt like I had a little fat lip. You should be fine! Don't let it ruin your weekend!

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Everyone is different, but you will likely be just fine without any ill side effects. There is no reason why your partner cannot feed you grapes or strawberries dipped in chocolate 3 days post op :D Enjoy the trip.

Best,
Rory

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hm....the only thing I can remember was:

1. Not being able to bite into a toasted sandwich

2. using tons of chammomile tea to help soothe the suture sites

3. Was not able to chew a HUGE sushi roll or bite into it because the sutures were still tender.

That was it, whatever I could cut up and put in my mouth was fine. I really found drinking warm tea and saltwater rinses helped make my mouth feel better.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

travelbug

#6 Post by travelbug »

I had four premolars extracted on a Saturday afternoon. For the rest of the day, I ate only liquid or very soft food. By the next morning, I was able to eat regular food slowly and carefully. By Monday, I went to the office as normal and was eating almost completely normally. So for me I would say the recovery process took just a couple of days.

overseasmel

#7 Post by overseasmel »

Thanks guys! Glad there doesn't look like there will be any problems. Now I'm really looking forward to my weekend away! (Rory, I'll mention the grapes to him, and we'll see how we go! ;)

:D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

jackie100

#8 Post by jackie100 »

Well, I had to rest for 1-2 days. And I avoided hard foods for around 2 weeks, I also avoided eating small particles of foods that could get caught in the holes such as rice etc for over 2 weeks, I didn't have to do all these things, I mainly did it because I was phobic of getting dry socket, I mean really phobic.

The worst part of me was trying to eat after I had my teeth out, I got very traumatized looking at the gauze of blood in my mouth, I think that made me more sick than anything else. I never felt any pain or soreness, just the ickiness of knowing that my teeth were yanked out of their sockets and the bloody gauzes in my mouth. Blood is just very nasty to me and just knowing that there were 4 holes in my mouth was the worst part. I even refrained from exercising and talking loudly for a few weeks because I was that terrified of getting dry socket, I spent at least 20 hours reading up on it and how intense the pain was and how long the pain lasted so it was that fear that affected me the most.

I work at home and all of it is done behind the computer so I didn't have to take time off I don't think.

GinaLime

#9 Post by GinaLime »

I had four premolars extracted, spread over two appointments. Each time I had the extraction in the morning and took the rest of the day off, but returned to work the next day. Besides packing a very soft lunch I was just fine. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds before the extraction, but there's a 99 percent chance you won't need it. My main problem was the droooooling (ew).
Bimaxillary protrusion, 4 MM of overjet with a small overbite

overseasmel

#10 Post by overseasmel »

Hi guys!

Had the first two 5s out yesterday (right side) and it went really well. I was lucky that they were both single-root teeth and the roots were nice and straight so they came out with just a bit of wiggling and no cutting at all.

I was, as everyone suggested, rather bloody for the first few hours, but that has since subsided. Soft foods yesterday but I've managed some slightly less soft things today so it's going well. I won't be nearly as freaked out for the next two (next Wednesday).

Mel.

Megan89

#11 Post by Megan89 »

I had 4 premolars extracted. I stayed home from work for 2 days. I had the wonderful misfortune of having the bottom right extraction site becoming infected (i'm not sure if it was a dry socket or an infection. Either way, it caused my whole lower half of my mouth to be in excruciating pain). Although the dentist gave me antibiotics to take right after the extraction, i still managed to have issues. Once I went back to the dentist to have clove oil put in the infected extraction site, and packed with gauze, I was pretty much fine. It sucked. I was living off of Tylenol 3's due to the throbbing pain.

In my brother's case, he was fine the next day and eating normal foods.

overseasmel

#12 Post by overseasmel »

Just when it was all going so well.......!

Yep, second lot of extractions originally went okay but I developed a dry socket over the weekend, which was not fun. I don't think I had it nearly as bad as some people though; whilst I had shooting pain down my ear, jaw and neck all the time it wasn't "the worst pain I have ever had."

On Monday the dentist packed it with a gauzey substance soaked in something that looked and tasted like Betadine. It helped a lot. It fell out that night though during dinner, and when I called the dentist this morning for advice he said that unless the pain worsened considerably again not to worry about it.

The pain hasn't increased to the level that it was, but there is still an ache. Any suggestions for home remedies? Can you buy oil of cloves yourself to put on it?

Thanks!

Miss Smiley

#13 Post by Miss Smiley »

Mel, sorry to hear that you got dry socket. I guess some people are just more prone to it than others. I had my extractions and against doctor's orders, I was puffing my tobacco on the way home from the office. I did that with premolar extractions and wisdom, but I did keep well hydrated so my mouth wouldn't dry out. Maybe you can go back to your OS and have them change out the packing material with the medicated stuff again.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix