Help with changing elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dawna

Help with changing elastics

#1 Post by Dawna »

Sorry if this has been answered, I did a search and didn't find anything.

As I'd mentioned in my 'hello' post, I switched from Invisalign to Sapphire braces yesterday to close my bite and derotate this one tooth that didn't quite participate in the Invisalign process :roll:

Anyway, I have to wear 2 elastics, one on each side. One is in a triangular formation,and one is just from one tooth to the other. I am having SUCH a hard time getting those little buggers on! :twisted: I have that little plastic appliance, but it can't seem to get close enough to the pass the elastics over the hooks. Is it a bad idea to bend the hooks out to place the elastics, then bend them back? They are basically almost totally flush with my gums, so I'm not sure how else to do it.

I'm sure it's just like Invisalign, in no time I was popping the trays in and out like nothing, but right now I would really appreciate any tips to get me doing this for these little pests!

Ruby Tuesday

#2 Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Hi Dawna,
I'm not sure what you have to hook the elastic onto, but I have metal loops and often have to bend them away from my gums to get the elastic over them. Then I usually press them back against my gum with my finger. Have been doing this for a long while and nothing has broken!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

The first time I was instructed to use elastics, I thought I would NEVER be able to do it! The office staff wouldn't let me out the door until I'd cracked it so amidst much swearing I went at it until I finally hooked those little blighters into place. What an ordeal that was.

I found the plastic tool invaluable and used it for months. Having been in elastics for 14 months now, I've pretty much got the hang of it and find I don't need the tool anymore.

As to bending the hooks, I'd go carefully here. I had some metal hooks fashioned by my ortho which were attached to the back of my canines (I have lingual uppers) and which were one point of contact for triangle elastics. Due to the problems of not being able to see what was going on back there, I unwittingly bent these hooks twice and the load from the elastics eventually broke them.

My advice is to keep at it with the tool. Like everything, it will come with practice.

Higgy

#4 Post by Higgy »

It does get better with time......I say that and I've worn them for about 3 weeks now....and it's easier to get them in now, though I still use the tool. The issue that I've had is that the furthest back bracket of mine does not have the hook...so getting it on there is sometimes a challenge.

Supermax

#5 Post by Supermax »

Hello

the only way i can reach my back molars and do my elastics in a sort of bow configuration is by using a tweezer. I got a really useful one from a stamp shop (of all places) that has a bend sharp pointed end which makes it easier to twist the elastic.