Elastics on for the first time today, help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nickym

Elastics on for the first time today, help!

#1 Post by nickym »

I just had elastics put on my braces for the first time today. They're horrible, my teeth hurt, my whole jaw is aching and I can't open my mouth properly! How long does the the discomfort last? Will I get used to them? Can anyone reassure me? Help!

Cor1

You'll survive!!!!!!!!

#2 Post by Cor1 »

Hey there, yes they hurt your teeth your jaw, and yes sometimes its hard to open your mouth and they're sometimes a pain to put on..............................BUT KEEP IT UP, DON'T NEGLECT TO WEAR THEM WHEN AND FOR HOWEVER LONG YOUR SUPPOSED TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BECAUSE THOSE LITTLE TINY RUBBER ELASTICS PREFORM MAGIC TO YOUR TEETH!!! :D :D

I right now have to wear one elastic in an upside down triangle on my right full time, and on my left side only at night, and let me tell ya the first time I had to put the left side one at night, I felt like I couldn't open my mouth and that is a very scarry experience, especially when your trying to go to sleep...............didn't happen that night, I was soooo worried about not being able to breathe properly, and what happens if I get a cold.........................but ALAS...............after a few days, my mouth and my elastics all seem to get along just fine!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

So just keep on keepin on!!! And one day you'll forget your even wearing them!!

Cor1

rhonda30

#3 Post by rhonda30 »

I feel your pain. I also have been through the new elastics period and it was painful, aggravating and immensely inconvenient. For what it is worth you will adjust to the elastics but they still are a pain in the a**. I think the worst is when one snaps and that feels wonderful on the inside of your cheek. My most embarrassing moment was when snapped while I was speaking and it shot out of my mouth. O-(

Hopefully your experience will be better and try to remember like I do, they are an important part of the process and the end result will be worth it.

kirjax

#4 Post by kirjax »

I haven't had trouble w/ mine. I wear them inside upper to outside lower! At first on my right (which felt achy for about 3-5 days then afterwards it was fine and even felt better having them in then out) now w/ my left I haven't experienced any discomfort whatsoever .I do not know if this is good or bad.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

joney

#5 Post by joney »

Like most things brace related it takes a couple of days to get used to and then you forget about them.

As Cor1 said, stick with it, they really do work incredibly well. After 42 years of having an openbite my bite closed within 2 weeks of wearing elastics.

Good luck with them and pop a painkiller or two if they're really bothering you.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Kat

#6 Post by Kat »

Couldn't stand mine but after a short while I learned to LOVE them and rely on them. You will really like the movement with them, they keep you happy. :lol:

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

The first night I put my elastics in I had to take them out at 3AM because the pain woke me up. The next night I lasted till about 5AM and after that I slept right through.

You do get used to them, and they can be really effective at moving the teeth, so stick with it.

nickym

Thanks

#8 Post by nickym »

Thanks for your advice everyone, really helpful and reassuring to know it gets better. Hope your treatment is going well :0)

nickym

Should I take them out to eat?

#9 Post by nickym »

By the way, my ortho said I should keep the elastics in all the time except when I brush my teeth, but I read on this website that a lot of people take them out to eat. It's certainly very difficult to eat witht the elastics in at the moment, should I be taking them out to eat?

KikiloSugilo

#10 Post by KikiloSugilo »

Nicky, the hardest part is just getting through the first week. After that the pain begins to dull and then the elastics just become a part of you. My ortho gave me the same instructions - to only remove elastics when brushing - but since I have extremely sensitive teeth, he initially let me sleep and eat with medium elastics and wear the heavy ones during the day. Hope it gets better for you!

janabug

#11 Post by janabug »

OMG, I orginally just had to wear 1 elastic on both sides, But today she changed it to 1 long elastic in a zig-zag pattern on both sides. I can't open my mouth. I asked her how am I suppose to talk, and she said I will get used to it. My jaw is in PAIN and I look like a ventriloquist. I'm suppose to just take it out to eat. I absolutely hate it.