face change

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joele

face change

#1 Post by joele »

Has anyone noticed the shape of their face change with braces?

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

jep.

I had a deepbite, and my premolars and molars were extruded. My face looks thinner now. It is bit annoying people asking if I have lost weight. I have not, so some changes in my face unfortunately.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I have a class II malocclusion and my lower jaw is set slightly too far back, making my chin look slightly receding. Now that my teeth are biting together differently I have noticed a very slight improvement in my profile. I look like I have more of a chin than I did. It's subtle though.

Cor1

Yup!!!

#4 Post by Cor1 »

Youuuuuuuu betcha, I now have very prominent cheekbones.............I LUV IT!!!!

Cor1

zero

#5 Post by zero »

for it it was my lips since i had a open bite my teeth never touched in the front and my bottom lip looked very thin...now that I have braces my lip sticks out like its supposed I'm happy with it

BobKitten

#6 Post by BobKitten »

i asked my ortho this question before she put on my fixed ceramics, and she said that she didn't think they produce that much of a change to one's face shape.... however, i feel my cheekbones and eyes are much more prominent now and my face is much more even, which is a bonus!!

i suspect it's due to my lower teeth being pushed back into line (my teeth clashed when i bit down, rather than having the slight occlusion overbite.. which i didn't know i needed!), so my chin and jaw are where it's supposed to be now. yet another positive result of having braces!

nickym

#7 Post by nickym »

Yes! My face shape has changed a lot, my face looks thinner and my cheek bones are more defined. I really like it! :0)

cosmicgirl

#8 Post by cosmicgirl »

My face was very narrow to start with and it doesn't look any rounder - shame! However, the braces have helped plump up my lips so I now have a killer pout without resorting to collagen implants! My chin looked quite heavy too but now looks a bit pointier. I have become so vain since being braced - constantly looking in the mirror to see if my teeth have moved and taking pictures of my horrible mouth so I suppose I'm more aware of my features, but yes, I am looking different!

platinum

#9 Post by platinum »

The problem with thinner face, prominent cheeks is that you look older...
Does not really matter when you are in your twenties but later....

BobKitten

#10 Post by BobKitten »

cosmicgirl wrote:I have become so vain since being braced - constantly looking in the mirror to see if my teeth have moved and taking pictures of my horrible mouth...
phew! not just me, then!! :-#)

jennielee81

#11 Post by jennielee81 »

Went from a deep bite and a 4mm overjet to a perfect bite and no overjet.

NO FACE CHANGES here.

That's fine.

Any changes would have been for the better if there had been any.

Nice teeth, nice face shape!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Nancy51

#12 Post by Nancy51 »

My ortho had casually mentioned, "Oh, yes, we'll be seeing some facial changes." Because I'm in this for a fuller arch--a speech issue for me--I didn't inquire what the changes might be. After reading the earlier threads to which kk referred, I was disappointed that the change would be a narrowing of the face. :(

On the other hand, some posters thought that the narrowing was a temporary result of braces-enforced dieting. In that case, I can look forward to larding up after de-bracing day. :lol:

What really creeped me out was the disagreement between one poster's ortho and her perio about whether braces move bone. :shock: Would this question really be a matter of opinion? Surely they would know and so agree?
Nancy