Re using the wires from previous adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MamaRoo

Re using the wires from previous adjustment?

#1 Post by MamaRoo »

:?: Has anyone else had this.... I had an adjustment yesterday... and they reused the wires that I had in before... I thought the point was to get new wires... at each adjustment... I might be wrong... but when I asked the Dr. about this... he told me that since this set of wires was doing what he wanted them to do... why get new ones...

I haven't noticed movement with this set of wires like I had at my previous adjustment...

Just curious...

Thanks.

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

This is normal! They only replace wires with new if:

you are upgrading to a heavier wire
back-stepping to a lighter one
your current wire is broken or damaged
if it's a NiTi wire and it is no longer active
you need bends in new places

There are probably other reasons to replace the wire with a new one, but these are high-tech wires and could be quite expensive. Your ortho is not going to waste them!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

ema27

#3 Post by ema27 »

Yeah i have had the same wire on my top teeth for the past 2 adjustments-i hope he changes it next time-i always feel better with a new wire-makes the appointment seem worthwhile :D

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

It must be an orthodontists preference. I have never had the same archwire re-used. Even when I have had the same size wire, they have replaced it with a new wire.

Not sure if it makes any difference, though.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

KikiloSugilo

#5 Post by KikiloSugilo »

Mama, that is not at all unusual. In the time I've been braced 1+ years, I've only had my wire changed 5 times, and they were either upgrades to a stronger wire or for damage that the wire had sustained.

ema27

#6 Post by ema27 »

.My progress is coming along pretty good of course its reassurance seeing the doc so he can tell you how good your coming along.I just feel a little cheated when i drive an hour for a quick look and thats it...at least with a new wire it makes me feel like the drive was worth it...

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I know what you mean!

My kids would have quick look appointments and I always felt like I was just "phoning it in". I would barely get my novel out of my bag and they'd be coming back down the stairs....all done. :?

I always liked getting major hardware changes...at least until the pain set in. :wink: Even if my wires weren't changed, I'd get something new like elastic config changes or a bend in an existing wire.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Sherri

#8 Post by Sherri »

I've been in braces almost three years and have had the same wire for the last year. Along with elastics and power chains, and they even did this thing this time where they took some kind of thread or dental floss and sewed my teeth together. I had never seen this before. I have a real stubborn gap that just won't close.

science teacher

wires

#9 Post by science teacher »

Sherri,

I have my 2-2 on top and bottom that way. My ortho calls it "laced" it is also called "gang tied" Your teeth will move as a group if you have more than 2 together.
Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

ema27

#10 Post by ema27 »

Just looking in the mirror as you do and iv noticed too things.one the top wire has a big scratch on it and one of my ligs on the bottom teeth has gone.where ..? i dont know :?
Really looking forward to the end of the month now...