Should I keep wearing elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Should I keep wearing elastics?

#1 Post by genxsis »

This will sound like a strange question, but about a month ago, my ortho said I can be debraced on Nov. 15th and I no longer need to wear my elastics anymore. I quit wearing them for the first couple weeks, but then started to think that maybe my teeth would start moving back to where they were if I didn't have the elastics on. That's what teeth do once the braces do their job and you don't use a retainer! So now I've been wearing them again for fear that I'm going to arrive at my debracing appointment and the ortho will say, "it looks like your teeth have reverted backwards a bit. Start wearing your elastics again and we'll schedule for debracing in a few more months".

Is this a logical concern? BTW, my elastic config is one elastic on each side, going from the canine on top to the first molar on the bottom.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

If you have any doubts or uncertainties about your treatment, call your ortho and find out! Anything that we say would be only speculation.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I did the same thing, BUT I only wore them at night to maintain the position of my teeth rather than to continue to move them.

Everything was A-Okay when I was debonded.

I wouldn't wear them 24 hrs a day as that may cause them to move beyond the point your ortho was trying to hit.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

KikiloSugilo

#4 Post by KikiloSugilo »

If your ortho instructs you to stop wearing elastics then you should probably listen, since he/she is a trained professional. You may be adversely affecting your treatment by wearing elastics longer than prescribed.

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

As usual, Meryaten, you are the voice of reason.

You make so much sence!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Lala7603

#6 Post by Lala7603 »

i would stop wearing them. when i had elastics i wore them a little more than i was supposed to and i actually over-corrected my bite. but if all else fails....call the ortho
SMIles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

Ok. I have stopped wearing the elastics. It sure is nice NOT to be wearing them too! And I did call my ortho and asked about whether my teeth could start to revert if I stop wearing them, just as my teeth would start moving back after debracing if i didn't use a retainer. I was told that this was different and that they would not start reverting back again.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"