clear lig staining question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

artsyalice

clear lig staining question

#1 Post by artsyalice »

At my last adjustment, I was told I could stop wearing my bite plate (YEA!!). I found that I brushed after everything I ate when I had to wear it because it would make eating more messy. Since not having to wear it, I've been brushing less and I really am noticing more staining on my clear ligs (go figure).

So, I have an adjustment next week and was wondering if there is anything I can do to lighten the staining until them. My ortho will change them out if I want before then, but with a week until my next appointment, I hate to do that.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the smoke colored ligs on their braces I could look at? I'm thinking about getting those next time since they don't stain as badly.

Thanks!
Alice

artsyalice

#2 Post by artsyalice »

just what I was looking for...thank you!

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kndmanz

#4 Post by kndmanz »

I asked my ortho at my first adjustment about getting smoke colored ligs since my clears stained so quickly; they ended up giving me white wire ligs that don't stain at all! I love them!

iceomatic

#5 Post by iceomatic »

I had always used the clear ligs. This last time I got smoke. MUCH BETTER. The yellow isn't so obvious.

Maybe I'll try white this time?!...

Ravishing

#6 Post by Ravishing »

I've been getting clear ligs that have a slight blue tint to them. The blue doesn't really show when they are on my teeth and they don't stain as bad as other clear ligs. One of the assistants recommended them to me and I've stuck with them ever since.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

artsyalice

#7 Post by artsyalice »

Thanks everyone! I know they have the smoke, but I don't' know about the other two suggestions. I think I'll try smoke next time and see how they do.....

Thathrill

#8 Post by Thathrill »

I have received white and clear ligs/power chains. I do not eat a lot of foods that would stain my ligs/powerchain but I do drink diet pop from time to time , have coffee at random times (have to have a lot of cream tho) and I love marinara based pasta dishes. I notice that my lig/powerchains tend to get a little yellow but only noticeable to me. I love clear the best. White to me tends to stain a but faster. I am going to try gold in a couple of weeks for my halloween costume. lol I will be keeping it only for a week since my adjustment is the following week.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'll ask my ortho what brand of ligs he is using for clear. This past month, I've noticed that there is hardly any staining. I think he changed the brand because the previous ones were nasty in 1 week, esp. since I love mustard, spicy foods, and tomato sauces. I've had all those and still no yellowing. I've just been using my regular toothpaste too! I tried the topol, didn't like it and went back to my sensitive paste.

Lala7603

#10 Post by Lala7603 »

about 6 months into my treatment my ortho got a sample of stain-resistant ligs....AND THEY WORKED...for me. sadly, he only had them for a little while. but they were great....

o also liked the glow in the dark ligs. they were just a little bit of color and im my opinion, didnt stain that much

SMIles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oh I have a pic of a single stained glow in the dark lig. It was pretty darn noticeable to me.
Granted it was on the very, very far right upper when you're looking at the pic. The assistant put it back there so that it wouldn't be all stained up in the front as we were testing out the stain resistance of it.