which foods/drinks cause stains?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travelbug

which foods/drinks cause stains?

#1 Post by travelbug »

I know that curry, mustard, coffee, and tea are all nasty culprits for staining powerchains or ligatures... what other foods/drinks do you all know of that should be avoided?

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

General rule of thumb, if it stains a white shirt, it will stain your clear or white ligs.

My list of culprits:

soy sauce
chicken boullion soup bases
cajun spices
tabasco sauce
oil from pizza (try blotting some of the grease of before biting in)
pomegranate juice
taco sauce/seasonings
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

someone mentioned pizza and will say tomato based foods will/may discolor ligs/powerchains. I eat a lot of pasta sauce as I love pasta. And I only wear clear power chains. I also drink diet coke/coke zero and coffee from time to time. My powerchains usually get a slight brown/yellow tint to it which isn't noticeable to anyone aside for myself.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com