My Damon braces are really annoying me!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildreamer

My Damon braces are really annoying me!!

#1 Post by lildreamer »

Hey all,
basically i got my damons on only last tuesday and i thought they were ok- a little pain - not so much and the rest. on day 3 though i had a bit of a pokey wire and so i went to get it clipped but somehow it kind of drew my attention to the fact these wires can move around in the brackets! the wire actually moves up and down in the brackets of the top teeth if you move it with your finger and also if swishing water in your mouth! This actaully has made my top teeth very sensitive and they feel sooo wobbly!
My ortho said that this is how damons are and she could put a thicker wire to stop this but im not quite ready for it yet...
does anyone else have this ? i feel like im the only one as everyones wires look pretty stable lol.
anyone who has damons - does this happen with urs?

Thanks guys- im just upset as im in pain and have a med school interview next week and it may be my only one!
:) :)

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Sorry you're having trouble with your brace. I had a stopper (like a tube) in the centre of my damons which stopped the small starter wire from moving too much. It won't stop the pokey wire at the back though but this is a good sign as it means your teeth are moving around. However I would have thought that without the stopper if the wire is really so loose that it could slide from one side to another if you know what I mean. I would enquire about the stopper if I were you.

If the wire is just a little pokey at the back then pop some wax on but if it is really bothering you then a quick snip from your ortho is heaven sent.

Good luck
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I had Damon 3's and I'll bet that wire is not as loose as you think it is. It does flex in between the brackets and can slide through, but it is doing what it's supposed to do.

Without the ligatures, the wire has less friction so it does move a little more than traditional braces when you're in the thin wires. This is normal as the teeth move along the wire, they need it to be freeer as there is so much movement in early treatment.
This actaully has made my top teeth very sensitive and they feel sooo wobbly!
Be assured that it's not the result of particularly Damon brackets and this thin wire causing your teeth to be sensitive and wobbly...it's because you have braces!!!

Hang in there, as you move into thicker wires and rectangular wires, everything feels more stable while they continue to move your teeth and torque your roots. But, you need to wait until your teeth are ready for that stage before your ortho will put them in.

Joney is right, if you've got pokey wires in the back, your teeth are moving!!! :thunbsup:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jordanna

#4 Post by jordanna »

I've had my Damon's on for a few weeks and have a stopper on my tops and bottoms like joney and I don't find mine moving around much at all - and my wire is really thin as well as I'm only in my first month.
:pinkbraces: Feel free to check out my braces blog by clicking on WWW icon below - I'd love to have you drop by! :pinkbraces:

CactusZAF

#5 Post by CactusZAF »

I have had Damon 3's since early september, and as Joney and Jordanna say, I too have stoppers on my archwire (they look like small metal tubes crimped onto the archwire, one on each side of one of the front brackets), perhaps your ortho forgot to crimp these stoppers on your archwire as my ortho did when I had my wire replaced after somehow managing to break the first one (mine was crimped 5 days later when I went back for a loose bracket), check if there are little loose tubes sliding around on your archwire somewhere between two brackets!

jenni11

#6 Post by jenni11 »

i wouldnt give up just yet. I have damon 3's too and I was Getting really annoyed at how my wire kept popping out of the tube and I asked my ortho last week when I was getting my bracket replaced and he said it was because the wire was a thinner one and when he puts the thicker one in it would be better. I know the springiness of the wire can make things seem strange, I almost don’t think they are working because of it, but I don’t think they would have damon 3’s if it didn’t. And I also have tooth pain, when I drink water or drink warmer liquids, but I was told to brush with sensodyne. I haven’t yet but I am sure that might help with the sensitivity.

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I almost don’t think they are working because of it, but I don’t think they would have damon 3’s if it didn’t
See my pics below to see that they DO indeed WORK!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm