I joined the TPA club tonight!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katie A

#16 Post by Katie A »

:D Hello all my fellow TPA club members!! Glad to see most everyone is actually doing very well with their TPAs. I've had mine in for one month as of Oct. 25th, and I can't say that life is completely wonderful with it. Maybe it's my age......I'm 45, and been in braces for almost 3 years, had upper/lower jaw surgery 6 months ago, and now the TPA. I can swallow just fine...still just a little trouble with capsules or small pills, but if I don't give up they eventually get past the arch and go down my throat.

The tongue pain is better, but definitely not gone. At first my entire tongue hurt, but now it's just one spot on the back of my tongue on the left that still hurts most of the time when I swallow. I've been using the oral anesthetic paste and I have to reach so far back to the back of my tongue where the sore spot is, I actually gag myself. At least the all-over pain is gone, but the last bit of pain is still bothersome. I can sleep throught the night with the pain, which is a definite improvement.

I do have a large groove on the very back of my tongue and raised areas where the tongue has been sore, almost like callouses are forming, and the sore on the left hasn't become calloused enough yet and is still raw and open. No blood noted, just discomfort.

Ok, I'm done complaining. I wish I was having an easier time in the TPA club, but I must be slower than others for getting over pain and problems with dental appliances. I'll be very glad when my entire ordeal is over, and I can finally get the braces off for good. I'll wear a night splint; I'll wear a retainer 24/7 if needed; I'll pay big bucks to get my teeth whitened after braces, if only I could be done with all the "metal mouth" issues!!! :cry:

Take care all!
Katie

JoviFan

#17 Post by JoviFan »

OIY - just heard the word TPA/Nuance mentioned today for the first time !!! :shock: -I guess they NEVER tell you b4 you start what all *may* happen!!!or else more people wouldn't go thru with it!!!!

hm.....what exactly do you guys have it for...??
they said I may need it if my upper (I assume) molars start to move too much with elastics...???
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

rafs

#18 Post by rafs »

i have it in order to move an upper back molar into position.

i'm happy to say that my 2nd go around is going much better than the first. it's been a week and a half, the tongue has toughened up and while it's still uncomfortable, it's certainly manageable and close to where i'm used to it. some foods are still trouble (stringy pasta gets caught, citrics make it hurt).

my problems the first time were because the device was put on or made on backwards and it was pressing into my tongue a lot more than it should've.

JoviFan wrote:OIY - just heard the word TPA/Nuance mentioned today for the first time !!! :shock: -I guess they NEVER tell you b4 you start what all *may* happen!!!or else more people wouldn't go thru with it!!!!

hm.....what exactly do you guys have it for...??
they said I may need it if my upper (I assume) molars start to move too much with elastics...???