Orthodontic Costs

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jordanna

#16 Post by jordanna »

I'm in Alberta, Canada and mine are $6000 from start to finish all fee's included
:pinkbraces: Feel free to check out my braces blog by clicking on WWW icon below - I'd love to have you drop by! :pinkbraces:

ohmyjaw

#17 Post by ohmyjaw »

I am in Canada and I don't think $7000 is excessive. I got three quotes, and the range was $6200 to $7000. I ended up choosing the guy who quoted me $6200, but it had nothing to do with the price; he was the one I liked the best!

I wonder if it varies much depending on where you live - I am on Vancouver Island.

TeresaTX

#18 Post by TeresaTX »

Texas here and I was quoted from 3K to 6K from different orthos...the one I chose was towards the top 5500 but I've been happy with the service and care so I assume the differences were valid. I was also quite lucky to have insurance that kicked in 2K so my out of pocket was reasonable.

katmc_tx

#19 Post by katmc_tx »

Hi, from Texas too. I went to my ortho because I knew prior paitients and was impressed with her work on those people. I paid $5,100.00 usd and that included time up to 2 years, upper & lower metal braces, retainers and a free consultation. I'm very happy with my finished results and with ortho/staff.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

knittingbag

#20 Post by knittingbag »

Hello. I'm new to the forum, but Canadian, so can offer you the price point that I'm in.

My total orthodontia is about 7600.00 canadian. My son received braces from the same ortho about 3 years ago and the cost was the same.

It is the same treatment course that you describe...2 years, adjustments every 6-8 weeks.

I'm in the GTA in Ontario. Don't know if that makes a difference, but my discussions with other parents here regarding the cost of their kids braces have confirmed comparable costs.

Dragging it out over the years makes it easier to swallow though!

Babs =^..^=

KK Cat

#21 Post by KK Cat »

First Euro contributor to the post here :) I'm in Ireland and the total cost of my treatment will be 4750 Euro (using todays exchange rate that's 6486 CDN$, 6870 US$ and 3300 GB£). (Metals top and bottom, records, 1st retainer). No insurance cover but luckily because of the tax bracket I am in I will be able to reclaim 41% of the cost when I am finished. I paid 800 Euro for the initial consultation and records and then it's 500E per quarter thereafter. Worth every penny and more :lol:
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

TigerLily

#22 Post by TigerLily »

KK Cat - just wondering how you claim back tax on your braces..?? Do you have a special type of job (like a model) or is it some other way? I'm just wondering whether I'd be able to do it in some way (had not occurred to me) though I know Eire is probably tax friendlier than the UK.

Lisa65

#23 Post by Lisa65 »

Sadly, there's no tax relief in the UK on private health care, whether you self-fund or go through a private health insurance scheme.

KK Cat

#24 Post by KK Cat »

TigerLily wrote:KK Cat - just wondering how you claim back tax on your braces..?? Do you have a special type of job (like a model) or is it some other way? I'm just wondering whether I'd be able to do it in some way (had not occurred to me) though I know Eire is probably tax friendlier than the UK.
:biglaf: Me a model :biglaf: if only you could see me right now (hee, hee, I probably weigh more like 2 of todays models!) No, it's nothing to do with your job. In Ireland one of the tax credits you can claim is Health Expenses and orthodontic treatment is an allowable expense and you can claim a refund of tax at the highest rate paid. I can't claim for routine dental treatment or hygienist, but still 41% of 4750 euro is not to be sniffed at.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

Lisa65

#25 Post by Lisa65 »

It sure isn't, KK. I wouldn't have minded 41% back of what I shelled out!

iBorg

#26 Post by iBorg »

I'm in West Virginia and my total is $6200 all inclusive. That did include $300 for upper ceramics. (Whole lot of good that did ME.) My ortho called my case from day one complex due to things done my first round of braces. When I decided that I'd like to fill in where I had extractions with implants, there was no change to the fee nor did she try to persuade me against it. This has included pictures, molds and numerous bite plates. I've had several emergency appointments due to brackets popping without and harsh words. Dr. P is reputed to be the best in the are for adults especially with TMJ. I can look at her and other's orthodontic final results and tell a difference.

Yes she is higher, but I believe my care has been worth it.

She did give us a discount for my son. I expect she'll give us one for our daughter although her case is much more complex than mine.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

mariahfromchicago

cost and evil ortho

#27 Post by mariahfromchicago »

mine is $2800 (US dollars) out of pocket. Insurance covered $1500 (US dollars)

My orthodontist is evil!!! He hates me because I am from Chicago.

I like imitating accents a lot, so then I chose to imitate a Canadian accent.

He also hates me because of my mixed racial background.

I cry whenever I leave that office.

His treatment may cost less, but when you are miserable, you'd rather pay more and get a nicer orthodontist.

- mariah
"I hope i get my braces off in June 2008 for the cruise"

lovesupreme08

Braces-Costs $$

#28 Post by lovesupreme08 »

Greetings Board,

My braces are $5680 without insurance. I have ceramic on top and traditoinal metal on the bottom with an 18month treatment time. I live in the New England area.

Peace,

Empress E

Miss Smiley

Re: cost and evil ortho

#29 Post by Miss Smiley »

mariahfromchicago wrote:mine is $2800 (US dollars) out of pocket. Insurance covered $1500 (US dollars)

My orthodontist is evil!!! He hates me because I am from Chicago.

I like imitating accents a lot, so then I chose to imitate a Canadian accent.

He also hates me because of my mixed racial background.

I cry whenever I leave that office.

His treatment may cost less, but when you are miserable, you'd rather pay more and get a nicer orthodontist.

- mariah
"I hope i get my braces off in June 2008 for the cruise"
Maybe you need to leave your ortho.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Skinny

#30 Post by Skinny »

here in the midwest it can range $4,500 - 8,000 depends on the office and Dr you go too.
It help I work at a dental office too so I know all the costs and I can see 1st hand who is good and who isnt.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny