Got braces on today...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

claire88

Got braces on today...

#1 Post by claire88 »

Hi,

I had braces when I was younger (around the age of 13)
I'm now 19, and unhappy with my smile as one of the bottom teeth are crooked and i have a slight overbite. A friend suggested going back to the orthodontic clinic to see what they suggest.
When I went back my ortho said I can have a brace, so i agreed on ceramic at the top and metal on the bottom. He fitted blue elastic seperators there and then, and i booked my brace fitting appointment for 1week away.
So today I went back to get my brace fitted, my ortho didn't explain anything, he just fitted them and gave me a leaflet about what not to eat and said to come back in 8weeks.
When I got back I came online and was reading everyone else's stories, and i realised that my ortho didn't even take any x-rays or impressions of my teeth. Maybe he had them from years ago but i'm sure my teeth would had changed position now.
Also my back teeth are covered in a blue gluey type stuff take he didn't bother to remove, and i'm wondering why I have to go back in 8weeks when everyone else seems to go within 4-6weeks.
I'm starting to worry if i've done the right thing in going ahead with the brace, also the fact they arn't hurting is making me wonder if they are working? I remember my first time around i was in a lot of pain straight away! Any opinions would be appreciated!

claire88

#2 Post by claire88 »

I got the braces on when I was around 12/13 and i wore them for about 15months. Thanks your info has made me feel better about not having any x-rays.

I'm not sure what kind of overbite i mean, my ortho didnt explain any of this to me, everything seems to have been done in a rush and now i feel really clueless. But basically when i bite my back teeth together the upper teeth hang over the lowers.

Thanks for your help and clearing some stuff up for me :)

discomom

#3 Post by discomom »

Congratulations!! I have been in my braces this time around 8 days!! Best of luck on your second go round! Lori

claire88

#4 Post by claire88 »

Thanks! Best of luck to you aswell :D

KathyC

#5 Post by KathyC »

Hi Claire,

Congratulations on getting your braces and good luck to you. I have been in braces for 9 days now and things are so much better than when I first got them on.

Since you are not comfortable with the way your brace appt. went I would call your Ortho and schedule an appointment just to ask the questions that you need answers to. That should make you more comfortable about what you are going through.

EllieUK13

#6 Post by EllieUK13 »

Welcome Claire! :-1

Good luck in your second time round!
Im a week into braces (for the first time at 28yrs old) and im not in any pain either! Which i still think is odd and wonder whether my Ortho is just being nice to me to ease me in! :lol:

I have appointments for every 6wks, but like the others have said, they are all different and nothing to worry about. :)

Click here to go straight to my Brace story