Taking the plunge - one post, LOTS of questions!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyJ

Taking the plunge - one post, LOTS of questions!

#1 Post by LadyJ »

For full details, I made a (really long!) post down in "Braces Stories". Not sure when it will show up, as I got the ubiquitous error message, but probably by tomorrow. I'll try to come back and add the link once it's up.

Long story short - I'm 26 and getting braces for the first time after putting them off for 14 years. My impressions are scheduled for January 3rd, and b-day will be January 17th.

Here are my before photos:

You can see how my top arch (upper left in consult photo) is constricted into a "house" or "tent" shape. My canines came in ABOVE my baby canines, so they're high in my gums and stick out a bit.

My lower arch (upper right) is really constricted and bows in, making all four of my lower incisors plus my lower canines jumbled and twisted - you can really see it in the second (very bottom) pic. My lower canines are rotated about 90 degrees!

The bottom consult pics show my deep overbite (90%) and I think I have maybe a 4-5 mm overjet. Also you can see some of my molars don't match up. I have some gum recession, especially on the lower teeth.

I'm getting Damon brackets, the "social six" Damon 3's and 3MXs everywhere else. Estimated treatment time 18-20 months.

So.

I'm a detail person, and a pre-planner. My ortho's office has been great about answering questions, but I don't know everything to ask yet. (Plus I want to give them a break, hehe!) Everyone on here is so knowledgeable and so many have already been through this, I thought I'd ask you: what am I in for? :?: :)

I've read all the "pre-braces" articles, but based on my teeth I'm looking for specifics. I'm guessing because of my deep bite I'm likely to get turbos for the first few months? 2? 4?

What other kind of details should I expect? Elastics? (Likely, I think.) Springs to space stuff out?

With my canines so rotated, will they be bracketed right in, or will I have to wait until space opens up? Is it different for Damons vs. traditional brackets that way?

Any other insight you guys - or "y'all" as we say around here :wink: - can offer would be great. Thanks!

LadyJ

#2 Post by LadyJ »

Thanks for the info, Meryaten!

Wow, 6 months with the bite propped open...guess I'll have to learn to chew all over again. But hey - I've been wanting to lose a few more pounds! :wink:

Ariesinatl

#3 Post by Ariesinatl »

Hi LadyJ,

Grats on taking the plunge.

I'll agree with Meryaten in that you look to have plenty of space for the teeth to move around, and probably won't need expander springs. You may get elastics to help your bite and align those molars but it really is amazing what can be done with just brackets and a wire.

Your canines will probably get a bracket as well. They don't look bad, and they should move quickly. You will be impressed with how fast your teeth move.

If the Doc said 18-20 months, then he prob thinks you don't have major issues that can't be remedied with traditional techniques. Just be ready for those 18-20 months fly by. They really do go quick.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

LadyJ

#4 Post by LadyJ »

Thanks, Aries!

That's encouraging to hear. I'm looking forward to having my teeth straightened out, the sooner the better. I know how fast 20 months can fly - I have a 20-month-old son! To think that in a blink I'll be out of braces and he'll be almost 4 is...weird. But still exciting. :)