Can i get a scale and polish with braces? ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildreamer

Can i get a scale and polish with braces? ?

#1 Post by lildreamer »

Hi all, erm well first off i got my braces 3 weeks ago now and i wanted to have a scale and polish before braces but i couldnt get an app. and i really need one! I get build up on the back of my lowers (no-one knows why - i brush and brush there, but its unavoidable!) and i need to have a polish done also ... but is it possible? i mean the wires get in the way of the polishing brush right??

i cant also have my wires removed as they just really went on.
anyone done this succesfully with braces and how? and do ur teeth start to ache again after?

Thanks soo much guys :D :D

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

I haven't had a cleaning with braces yet either. I didn't go for a cleaning before either. But last time I went there, when they refered me to the ortho, they said that they use a "sandblaster" like device. (It's not scary.) That cleans in and around all the hardware in my mouth.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I had teeth cleaning couple of days ago. My teeth and gums were cleaned, and at the end polished. My hygienist prefers that I have my archwires removed. I guess it is easier to polish when you dont have archwires on.

SnowSara

#4 Post by SnowSara »

I get plaque build up behind my front lowers as well, lol, it's the only spot where my hygienist needs to scrape at all, it's the strangest thing isn't it?

I have gotten cleanings with braces on and it's not a big deal.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

With braces, they often use a machine called a Cavitron, which is like a high speed waterpick. They can also scale and polish when you have braces -- it just takes a little bit longer.

You should add an extra cleaning or two to your schedule -- 3 (or 4) times per year instead of just the normal two times per year.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

QKate

#6 Post by QKate »

I am having my first cleaning with braces tomorrow! I am loking forward to having the teeth reallt clean again as they feel more difficult to clean with braces. I am not looking forward to the actual cleaning as I am so pain sensative with exposed roots that I have to get a mouth full of novocaine every cleaning. UGH!!! Then Ifeel kindof sick for a couple of days while it works out of my system. But it also feels like a few pokes of the novocaine needle hurts less than a million pokes of the scraper.
But that is cuz of my exposed roots not cause of the braces. My orthos office has a hygenist so maybe I will get some cleanings there but for now I get them at the periodontist. Just rambling here!!