day 2 with braces qustion about exercise?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sutsee

day 2 with braces qustion about exercise?

#1 Post by Sutsee »

Well yesterday was pretty rough...today though thins seem to be a little better. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast and I just had a banana. Still sore, but I am suprised that I not as aware that they are on. I still feel my lips don't fit over them, and I keep knocking my top teeth on my bottom, I thinking trying to make my lips feel like they fit. LOL

So here's my question....I love running. I run 4 days a week and I love being active. I haven't ran since before I got braced. I have this strange fear that my braces will pop off or my teeth will hurt more. Do any of you have issues with exercising?

Thanks!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Bethany<><

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

Nope, no problems at all. I do yoga and I do light hiking.

Think of it from the perspective of kids. How many teenagers are there out there playing sports (including contact sports) with a mouth full of braces?

Every time I wondered how I'd do something with braces and then later with elastics...I'd consider all the kids walking around out there who have none of the issues we adults have since they don't seem to ever think about them!

Go and enjoy your run! Have a lovely weekend!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I have no problem with exercising. In fact I go to the gym 3 out of 6 days a week because its required that we go to the gym as firefighters to work out. I run religigously like its going out of style every morning I wake up so braces have not effected me in any way!

Goodluck with your exercise routine!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

lilsisbet

#4 Post by lilsisbet »

I try to exercise every day (alternating between cardio / weights) and have had no problems whatsoever. However, depending on what type of activities you are doing (hockey, skiing, roller blading) - do you not need a mouth guard? I remember seeing a poster at the Ortho's showing various activites and when you need to wear a mouth guard. Not sure.
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

Sutsee

#5 Post by Sutsee »

Thanks everyone. I am so happy to hear all the positve imput. I will enjoy my runs!

Quirky Girl

#6 Post by Quirky Girl »

I know that this is an old thread but... When I run I feel a (not unpleasant) tingling in my gums and teeth. :shock: I assume that this is caused by increased blood flow to the area and is normal. Does anyone else have this sensation during strenuous exercise? I run 3 to 4 times a week and have felt this since getting braces. I don't remember feeling this before being braced but I was not as aware of my gums/teeth at that time either.

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Sutsee, just don't run on your face! :GapToothed: You might want to keep extra water handy as your mouth can dry out from exhaling through your mouth. As most of us have learned (dry mouth+braces)=(no fun)
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Chloe1

Intersting topic

#8 Post by Chloe1 »

Didn't know there were any other runners in this forum. I found it hard to run the first 2 weeks because I was just so tired from having a hard time eating - probably not getting enough calories - and the annoying pain of torn up cheeks and general soreness. Got over it and I have just started heavy training for my yearly marathon and have no problems - in fact I just had a 5K PR a couple of weeks ago and doing a half marathon next week!!! :D

I agree though about the water - braces and dry mouth do NOT go together!! :( And...I sort of agree about the increased blood flow - I'll have to pay attention tomorrow morning and see if I notice it!!!

Good luck all with your runs!!! I keep trying to figure out how much straighter my teeth will be compared to right now on the day of my marathon - Feburary 24th. I might actually have to break down and take pics so I can compare :tingrin:

Dawna

#9 Post by Dawna »

I run every other day (5-10kms) and I never could do it without gum. I was so upset because I thought gum was a no-no with braces, but I just take a smaller piece (about 1/3 of a stick) of sugar-free gum, and be careful not to let it get into my braces. All is fine! I do notice that when I get puffing, my lips feel like they kind of rest on the ridge of the braces - i wonder sometimes what I look like :roll:

mariahfromchicago

Don't worry :)

#10 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Lots of kids on the football (that is American football), volleyball, and basketball teams at my school have braces on their teeth.
braces can't stop you from exersizing.
- mariah

PARR

#11 Post by PARR »

yes exercise! lift swim bike jog run power walk...whatever you do keep doing it!

so of course this now brings me to a recent gym story: liftng with a regualr there. him: "Man, you got braces?" me: "yup, since August" him: "What for?" me: "My eyesight obviously" him: "Oh right, sorry, duh"

Gotta love the human brain when being taxed by heavy metal (both weight and tunes!)

Yes exercise is good and your teeth won't pop out, but do wear a mouth guard if playing handball, racketball, jai alai lacrosse football (anyone's rules) etc

METALMOUTHPOOH

#12 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

I am like u girl :wink:
I live to run :!: and it took me about 2 weeks to get back into my running. I tried the 1st week but my teeth would hurt :-+

But after that and even after my 1st adjustment I am good to go :dance:

Baby steps :wink:

Quirky Girl

#13 Post by Quirky Girl »

Chloe - Good luck with your marathon! I'm not that motivated, I'm with Dawna and am more in line with 5 and 10k's. I've sometimes wondered what I look like also, Dawna. When I really start huffing and grunting, I've imagined that I look like I have a horse face, with my upper lip resting on my top braces and the lower lip just under the bottoms, I must look like I have really big teeth. :tingrin: Parr, LOL, I have to remember that line the next time someone asks why I got braces. Pooh, glad to hear that you're back on track with your running.

Miss Smiley

#14 Post by Miss Smiley »

I remember going to the gym to meet my trainer the day after being braced. I think he went a little easier on me since I had to change my diet for the time being. I was upping protein shakes to replace the meat I couldn't chew.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

knittingbag

#15 Post by knittingbag »

I run too. I took a week or so off when I first got my braces. Then I got back to it. It hasn't been a problem other than my mouth is more dry than I'm used to. So I drink more water.