Swollen Gums

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Scottman

Swollen Gums

#1 Post by Scottman »

Hi I have had my braces on for about 8 months now and I have inflamed gums. They are on my front teeth, between the front four.

I read on the internet that salt-water rinse works, but I have been rinsing for 1 and a half weeks and it hasn't been showing much help. I have been "massaging" my teeth like my orthodontist recommended but that just cut my gums and really hurts! I am not sure if that is because I am doing that too long or too hard.

Do any of you have advice?

Thanks!

cybersiren

#2 Post by cybersiren »

Floss floss floss! It helps keep the gums healthier so they are much less likely to get inflamed. And when the gums are not inflamed, teeth move faster too. My ortho tells me that my treatment is moving along MUCH faster than he anticipated and he attributes it to my good flossing habits.

QKate

#3 Post by QKate »

Having had a ton of problems with my own gums and years of neglect of swollen bleeding gums resulting in massive perio disease- I would recommend a visit to the dentist to check out those swollen gums! It could be a number of causes but best to know for sure cause the sooner you attend to it the better!

Scottman

#4 Post by Scottman »

Meryaten wrote:Are you flossing?
Are you brushing properly, using the right type of brush? (soft bristles)
How is your general health?
Are you eating properly?
I don't floss.
I brush 2 times a day.
I am healthy, but just a little underweight.
I have a good diet/nutrition.

Also, I went to the dentist recently and they said nothing about my gums. I guess they knew it was because of braces??

I also asked my ortho about it and they said to help the puffy gums you have to "massage" it with your toothbrush for 15 minutes a day and it should go away in a few weeks, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Swollen gums (gingivitis) is usually caused by plaque which has not been properly removed from the teeth. The front 4 lower teeth can tend to accumulate plaque more rapidly than the other teeth. There is a saliva gland that drains just under the tongue, and the natural movement of the tongue pushes that saliva through the gaps between those lower teeth. Becteria feed on the saliva and a biofilm of plaque is the result.

If you don't floss, chances are you are not removing all the plaque from between your teeth, and this can cause irritation of the gums. Plaque can and does develop under the gumline where a brush can't reach. If left unchecked, deep periodontal pockets can eventually form and over time lead to bone loss round the teeth. I'd strongly recommend that you start flossing. If your gums bleed when you floss, that's a sign they are irritated and inflamed, and means that you need to brush and floss that area MORE, not less. Rinsing with hydrogen peroxide (available at drugstores/chemists) can also help with inflammation.

It might also be worth getting your teeth properly cleaned by a hygienist. They will be able to remove any hardened plaque (tartar) which might be contributing to the irritation. They can pay special attention to that problem area and even remove plaque from below the gumline if need be.

Scottman

#6 Post by Scottman »

Lisa65 wrote:Swollen gums (gingivitis) is usually caused by plaque which has not been properly removed from the teeth. The front 4 lower teeth can tend to accumulate plaque more rapidly than the other teeth. There is a saliva gland that drains just under the tongue, and the natural movement of the tongue pushes that saliva through the gaps between those lower teeth. Becteria feed on the saliva and a biofilm of plaque is the result.

If you don't floss, chances are you are not removing all the plaque from between your teeth, and this can cause irritation of the gums. Plaque can and does develop under the gumline where a brush can't reach. If left unchecked, deep periodontal pockets can eventually form and over time lead to bone loss round the teeth. I'd strongly recommend that you start flossing. If your gums bleed when you floss, that's a sign they are irritated and inflamed, and means that you need to brush and floss that area MORE, not less. Rinsing with hydrogen peroxide (available at drugstores/chemists) can also help with inflammation.

It might also be worth getting your teeth properly cleaned by a hygienist. They will be able to remove any hardened plaque (tartar) which might be contributing to the irritation. They can pay special attention to that problem area and even remove plaque from below the gumline if need be.
Well the dentist said that I have some of the cleanest teeth they have seen.

I just want the gums to go away because they are embarrassing and I don't really like smiling or talking or letting anyone see them :oops:

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

Doesn't matter how clean your teeth are above the gums. If your gums are inflamed then there's a reason for that, and the most likely reason is plaque beneath the gumline where a toothbrush can't reach. Hence my recommendation that you floss. You'll soon know if it's working or not.

Scottman

#8 Post by Scottman »

Meryaten wrote:Your teeth can be clean as a whistle above the gum line, and yet still be harbouring plaque and bacteria below the gumline. This causes periodontitis which, if untreated, can destroy not only the gum tissues, but also the underlying bone which supports the teeth. The result of untreated periodontitis can be the loss of some or all of your teeth.
'

It is hard to floss with these braces! I have power chains and I know how to do it with braces, I just cant get in between the teeth! I know you go through the wire and then floss.. but it doesn't work!

dagwoman

#9 Post by dagwoman »

You just have to practise and persevere. It does get easier, I promise! Or you could go and buy special floss for braces that have a stiff end that makes it easier to thread through braces.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

It is tricky I agree, but as Meryaten said there are different gadgets available to make it easier. I've tried threader floss (with the stiffened end) but eventually I settled on using a threader. I thread the floss under the archwire at the bottom and pull it out at the top, then grab the floss between my fingers to get it tight and wiggle it between my teeth. Kinda complicated to explain but I can floss all my teeth in about a minute using that method. If you have tight spaces between your teeth, try a waxed ribbon floss such as Crest Glide.

Your gums will thank you lol

Scottman

#11 Post by Scottman »

Lisa65 wrote:It is tricky I agree, but as Meryaten said there are different gadgets available to make it easier. I've tried threader floss (with the stiffened end) but eventually I settled on using a threader. I thread the floss under the archwire at the bottom and pull it out at the top, then grab the floss between my fingers to get it tight and wiggle it between my teeth. Kinda complicated to explain but I can floss all my teeth in about a minute using that method. If you have tight spaces between your teeth, try a waxed ribbon floss such as Crest Glide.

Your gums will thank you lol
Ok, well I flossed last night and I hope to keep it a nightly routine like my brushing habits!

It took me like 10 minutes just to floss in between my two front teeth!! I used a standard floss called "Crest Glide" that I got from my dentist. I also kind of felt pain because it felt like the floss was going inside my gums!

On another topic, what is an easy way to get rid of a canker sore besides time? This canker sore has been here for about 2 weeks, I feel slight pain in it but it keeps getting caught on my braces whenever I smile or talk!

HotWired22

#12 Post by HotWired22 »

Baking soda! I know it sounds wierd but I used to get canker sores (I called them ulcers when I was a kid). I used to get them all the time and sometimes 2 in the same spot! OUCH! I once heard that they were somehow hereditary. And some people either get them randomly or never at all.
Anyway try and get regular baking soda and if you can keep the sore as dry as possible the better it works. Just get some baking soda on a Q-tip and dab right on the sore and keep it dry. Sometimes you have to hold your lip or cheek out to keep spit from washing it away. Sounds crazy but believe me it works and doesn't hurt at all. Do this pretty often for a few days and it'll be gone in no time!
Also, salt water rinses often! You'd think it'd hurt but it doesn't, it just kinda tastes nasty.

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

As well as the above suggestions I'd recommend putting a piece of wax over whatever bit of your hardware is touching the sore. If you have a mouth sore like that, everytime your braces touch it, it will irritate it all over again. You need to give it a chance to heal without being constantly rubbed and chafed.

Good luck with the flossing. The floss does need to get under the gumline a bit because that's where the plaque hides which can't be removed by brushing. If you keep up with it, your gums should get less swollen and flossing won't be so uncomfortable.

Chloe1

#14 Post by Chloe1 »

I've just been using those brushy pick thingys and stick them right in between my teeth instead of using floss. It was hard at first because my teeth were almost too tight for the brushes and they would tear my gums a bit. Now my teeth have spaced out enough that I only have to use floss in one spot.

Ariesinatl

#15 Post by Ariesinatl »

Listerine. Period. This stuff works wonders. I had some swollen gums and started rinsing with the original Listerine and within 3 days it was gone.

I also used it after getting my tongue pierced and it worked then as well. Rinse with it for a few minutes then soak a cotton ball and leave it wedged between your lip and gum for 15 minutes. This really works.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days