Braces as sign of affluence

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TsuKata

Braces as sign of affluence

#1 Post by TsuKata »

I'm incredibly proud of my braces. I think the technology behind modern braces is wicked cool, and I will discuss how they work at any given opportunity. However, in doing some introspection, I realized that I also view my braces as a sign of affluence, or more correctly, gained affluence.

When I was younger, it's not like my parents didn't want to get me braces. They simply could not afford it. I suppose one could argue that it was a sacrifice made in favor of other things, but it was still not a choice based on cruelty or neglect so much as the best decisions they could make with limited resources. (I'll say, too, that my parents didn't have the best saving/spending habits in the world, so I know they did the best they could, but it's not like we were destitute or anything. It was moreso that several small expenses were easier for them to manage than any single large expense.) In school, I saw friends and the popular kids all getting braces for a period of time. With a kid's perspective, I didn't think of the pain or hassle of braces. I saw them as something really cool that other kids got to do, that got them attention and even praise from peers and elders. I was envious, plain and simple.

So, here I am as an adult with braces, and I'm incredibly proud of myself for being able to get them. I do have insurance, but it covered only a small portion. (I now fully understand why my parents couldn't make the outlay for braces. I also have tons of sympathy for co-workers with multiple kids in braces as my company's plan has a family *lifetime* max of 2K for orthodontia...so the first kid's braces are helped by the insurance but by the time you get to kid 2 or kid 3, you're SOL.) The vast majority of the cost came from savings that I'd put into an HSA. Many folks are puzzled as to why I grin so big to show off my braces, why I delight in all of the parts of this experience...but to me, it's like having braces is a sign that I've hit a level beyond that of my parents...and that's a big accomplishment. The braces aren't the only sign of this, of course, but it's like the braces for me are the equivalent of a high-end convertible car or something...it's a status symbol to me, even if the rest of the world doesn't quite see it that way. :)

I wonder if others have had this same feeling? Do you feel like your orthodontia is an achievement that you should be proud of instead of something to hide? It seems like the traditional view is that braces are something to be ashamed of, but I can't wrap my brain around that, and it seems like others (who don't have braces or haven't since they were kids) are really thrown by me liking my braces. :)
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL

dubnobass

#2 Post by dubnobass »

Oh no, not this again... :roll:

No. My treatment is free on the NHS (surgery and all). Orthodonture is free in the UK to those who need it as a child, and adult patients also qualify if a bad enough case.

Therefore, my braces are no kind of status symbol and are simply a means to straighten my teeth. I don't particularly like them, they hurt and are aesthetically displeasing to me, but they are a means to an end. I gather in the US it is very different.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

Ariesinatl

#3 Post by Ariesinatl »

I agree. It is costly and not everyone can afford it. My parents were in the same situation. Now that I'm older and can pay for them myself, I've gotten them.

When Adults get braces I feel it represents someone that's willing to go through pain and change to better themselves. Not that straight teeth makes someone better than anyone else, it's more of a personal empowerment thing. And yes, most of the kids I grew up with that had braces came from wealthier families.

The U.S. doesn't have a Socialized HealthCare system so we have to pay for our health care expenses that aren't considered "medical expenses" Which Orthodontia is one. So in essence, affluence is a factor. If you can afford em, you'll get your kids braces. If not, well you're SOL.

You should be proud and smile big!
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I never thought of braces as a sign of wealth. I grew up in a modest house and we never had fancy cars. I didn't get the cool new shoes or get to follow the fashion trend. My father owned a pizza shop and my mom was working as a federal employee. They would have gotten me the braces but I just didn't want it. They knew I needed it and my dad was really good at making a buck last. I rebelled against having them as a teen and so now I'm having to pay for them myself, which makes me kick myself in the behind. Now I have to make my dollar stretch and every dollar really counts. The only reason I splurged on the clear brackets was because I figured if I'm going to be acquainted for 2+ years, I might as well get the ones I want. None the less, I don't see myself as affluent, I just see this as something medical that I should have taken care of.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Chloe1

#5 Post by Chloe1 »

I so totally agree!! Insurance wouldn't cover me as a child - no ortho would like and say it was medically necessary. Oddly, now that I am older and my teeth have gotten worse it probably is becoming necessary. But of course, there are hardly any insurance plans that have benefits for adults.

So yes, I am proud that I am able to do this. Now I wish I had clear on both top and bottom but my ortho didn't even offer them on bottom and I didn't do enough research in advance to ask. Golly, after all this another couple hundred bucks would have been nothing.

bracesafter40

Re: Braces as sign of affluence

#6 Post by bracesafter40 »

I'm incredibly proud of my braces. I think the technology behind modern braces is wicked cool, and I will discuss how they work at any given opportunity. However, in doing some introspection, I realized that I also view my braces as a sign of affluence, or more correctly, gained affluence.

<snip>
TsuKata,
I am too, very proud of them and smile all the time now more than before.
I can relate to what you are saying in some form. Braces are expensive in the U.S. and I oftentimes wonder why I even pay dental insurance. If it was not for my aunt and my employee spending account, I would not be able to afford, well pay for it. I still can't afford it, but I have to get my teeth fixed; its been 34 years darn it!

I always feel bad when I talk to others who have really crooked teeth and I recognize that they are embarrassed speaking to me since I can "afford" braces and they possibly cannot. It took me a while to get them, not primarily because of cost, but just getting my act together as well.

So, in the U.S., it seems that it is mainly people who have the money or can carefully plan for it get braces...
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

lilblackdress

#7 Post by lilblackdress »

However, in doing some introspection, I realized that I also view my braces as a sign of affluence, or more correctly, gained affluence.
It might be a sign of gained affluence, it could also be a sign of gained independence. Here's what I mean, I remember years ago watching a segment on some news magazine show (probably 60 Minutes) that discussed the rise of the black (African-American) middle class. In the segment they mentioned how a lot of adult African Americans were getting braces because their families couldn't afford it when they were younger. In this case, I would call this gained affluence. They are simply in a better financial situation, and can afford to do something for themselves that their parents couldn't. Of course, as evidenced from many posts on this board, this is not exclusive to the African-American community, and it is common throughout the US.

I, myself, had parents that could probably afford braces, but since my bite wasn't really that bad, they didn't do it. Now that I am an adult who can manage to afford these things, I'm doing it. I see it as a sign of gained independence for me. And instead of looking at it as something that my parents didn't do for me, I look at it as something that my parents got me to the point of doing for myself - and that's nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, I'm quite proud of it. :wink:

And like TsuKata and bracesafter40, I smile all the time - flashin' my mouth bling. (^_^)

BobKitten

#8 Post by BobKitten »

Ariesinatl wrote:When Adults get braces I feel it represents someone that's willing to go through pain and change to better themselves. Not that straight teeth makes someone better than anyone else, it's more of a personal empowerment thing.
i agree completely, whether it be on insurance, or nhs, or through personal finances.

i'm a UK-er and, whilst i had braces suggested to me as a teenager, my teeth were not so bad then and i didn't want to do anything which would cost my mum money (not that she wouldn't have moved heaven and earth for anything i wanted... more that she had five children to raise!). the teeth then moved (and were continuing to move when i saw the ortho!) and i decided, around the age of 21/22 that i definitely wanted braces. however, having done University and experienced their special form of debt, i knew that paying for them would be a struggle, so i waited until i knew i'd be in a position to both stay in one location and have a regular (and good) salary with which to pay for the whole treatment. it would've been different had i been able to register with an nhs dentist, but we all know how rare *that* is in England!

ironically, after having decided to go through with it, as i was sure i could stay in one place and see through the treatment, i lost my job after getting a completely random and vicious viral brain infection!! hasn't stopped me wanting to see this through though, even if it does mean going into savings accounts. that said... yes, i do consider braces (especially the clear/ceramic/fantastico ones) a sign of some affluence - or at least determination on the part of the wearer to make a change in their life.
dubnobass wrote:Oh no, not this again... :roll:

No.
what a little ray of sunshine you are, dubnobass...

LadyJ

#9 Post by LadyJ »

Well, first off, I know that in some Asian countries, people wear "fake" braces because there it is considered a sign of affluence.

My own case is similar to many pp's. My parents didn't have a lot of money, due largely to my dad's inability to handle finances responsibly. We had what we needed, but not a lot of extras and they were pretty in debt. If I had agreed, they probably would have managed to pay for braces for me somehow, likely by going deeper into debt, because they knew I needed them. (Later, they did put both of my younger brothers in braces.)

But at the time I refused, to save them the money and myself the hassle. I thought my teeth weren't that bad.

Now as a financially-stable adult, I realize the importance of correcting my bite and crowded teeth for maintaining oral health throughout life. And I have dental insurance, but no ortho coverage, so I will be paying for this out of pocket (and FSA).

So yeah, to a degree I am proud that I have reached the point where I can afford to do this for myself out of pocket. But it's also a personal choice (trust me, I can think of lots of other things to spend 5 grand on!) so I don't look down on people who don't get braces as being financially inferior to me.
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

sungki

#10 Post by sungki »

LadyJ wrote:Well, first off, I know that in some Asian countries, people wear "fake" braces because there it is considered a sign of affluence.
LadyJ is right. For example, here in the Philippines, having braces is usually associated with affluence simply because they are very expensive.

However, in my case, I just have to get braces because of the condition of my teeth. My parents couldn't afford it. Now that I am working, I planned for it and hence now have the money to get it. There's now also flexible payment terms here wherein you just pay a certain percentage (usually between 40-50%) of the total amount and then the balance to be paid on a monthly basis for the whole duration of the treatment.
4 Molar Bands in - 11/17/2007
To be braced and additional molar bands - 11/24/2007

Upper - Inspire Ice Ceramics
Lower - Inspire Ice Ceramics and Metal combo

jackie100

#11 Post by jackie100 »

It could be a sign of affluence... for me I wouldn't show them off though because I'm vain and I think I don't look the most attractive in braces. I also want veneers etc. I won't show off my smile until my teeth are exactly how I want them to be, not while it's a work in progress. I only like to show off my best features, and my teeth are still being worked on so it's not "there" yet, so for now I have to make do with showing off my Benz as a sign of affluence... lol

discomom

#12 Post by discomom »

Interesting thought. I have never considered myself to be affluent. In my case just stupid. I had braces 30 years ago as a 14 year old child, now I am back into them. :roll: I am glad for you that you are so proud of your braces!!! :D :D Lori

jackie100

#13 Post by jackie100 »

Personally for me, my braces are a work in progress. To show them off now would be the equivalent of me getting a nose job and then walking around with the bandages to show my affluence. I want to show my perfect nose when I'm looking PERFECT as a sign of affluence, not when I'm not looking best and bandaged...

Braces is the same thing. The perfect Hollywood smile for me in the end will be the sign of affluence, it is the end result that will be sign for me. I only want to show it when it's finished and I'm looking my best.

SinOnYourLips

#14 Post by SinOnYourLips »

BobKitten wrote:
dubnobass wrote:Oh no, not this again... :roll:

No.
what a little ray of sunshine you are, dubnobass...
My thoughts exactly.

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

TsuKata

#15 Post by TsuKata »

I disagree, Meryaten. (Perhaps that is obvious, considering that I started the thread.)

The varied viewpoints are exactly what I was hoping for from this thread. I'm sad to hear that some folks are so upset about their braces to hate them or be ashamed of them, but I know their POV is far more common than mine nonetheless, and it's interesting to me to read about, even if I feel bad for folks having to go through something they aren't enjoying.

It's not like the point of this is to say that we're all rich because we have braces or anything as horridly offensive as that, and I don't think anyone so far has taken it to somewhere offensive. The point is, do you feel like your own braces are a sign of affluence (whether you paid for them or not), either just for you or as part of your culture. It's something I'd never considered consciously before my recent moment of clarity.
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL