How do i use wax?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kay

How do i use wax?

#1 Post by kay »

Sorry, this may sound like a really stupid question! I have only ever used brace-eze but can't seem to get hold of it now.

Got powerchains today and my ortho gave me some wax (5 long cylinder shaped ones).

Do i just rub it onto my brackets :?:

kay

#2 Post by kay »

Thank You Meryaten! That was very useful, my wax is quite hard in texture so hopefully it should be fine! :D

muppet

Wax

#3 Post by muppet »

Hello,

I had my brace fitted a week ago and was given a packet of 5 sticks of wax. I have found this to be completely useless (although it may be user error! :lol: ) Luckily I have had little rubbing except for one length of wire running across a large extraction gap. It tends to mimic a piece of cheese wire attempting to slice my cheek at every available opportunity. I have been using anbesol to provide relief when eating and I am hoping my cheeks will toughen up soon.

The wax I was given is solid. I have tried to soften it prior to using it but to no avail!. When I try to apply it the said piece of cheese wire just slices the wax in half. I then spend the next few minutes picking little pieces of wax out of my mouth - Nice!! Oh well only 18 moths to go! the wire may have sliced through my entire cheek by then :-#)

Traceymay

#4 Post by Traceymay »

Hi Guys :-1

My ortho gave he hard wax which came in a thin rectangle which was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

There is a site in the uk www.orthoshop.co.uk which sells brace gard which is more of a silicon than wax, which I have found to be the best for me.

Hope this helps

Thanks - Traceymay

sungki

#5 Post by sungki »

I'm just curious. What happens if you accidentally swallow some wax? Is it safe? How long before you remove the wax?
4 Molar Bands in - 11/17/2007
To be braced and additional molar bands - 11/24/2007

Upper - Inspire Ice Ceramics
Lower - Inspire Ice Ceramics and Metal combo

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Swallowing it won't hurt you. And I take it off when I brush my teeth, otherwise it gunks up the toothbrush.

lionfish

Re: Wax

#7 Post by lionfish »

The wax I was given is solid. I have tried to soften it prior to using it but to no avail!. When I try to apply it the said piece of cheese wire just slices the wax in half. I then spend the next few minutes picking little pieces of wax out of my mouth
If you haven't already tried this, make a roll of wax long enough to cover the wire and two teeth on either side of the gap, and then try and press it into place using the teeth as anchors.

muppet

Wax

#8 Post by muppet »

Thanks for the tip,

I tried this one eveving, it took ages as the piece of wire kept slicing through the wax. After a lot of effort it did stay put even when eating :D Although after a couple of hours the wire had again sliced through the wax even though it was still in place on the brackets :( At least my cheek managed a period of restbite and is feeling a bit better!
Now the weather is colder I have started sitting my wax on the radiator this makes things much easier.

Thanks again :banana: