New to braces and this forum

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracesat40

New to braces and this forum

#1 Post by bracesat40 »

Hi everyone. So glad I found this website as I recently got braces for the first time and have been feeling miserable ever since. My teeth weren't all that bad to begin with, but I had noticed some crowding on both upper and lowers and the dentist suggested braces. I had no idea what I was getting into at the time and have been so incredibly uncomfortable since day one.

People have told me that I will get used to the feeling of braces, but it's been 2 months and I am still not used to them. Every morning when I wake up, I feel like pulling them off my teeth!

I keep thinking that I am one of the unfortunate few who will never be comfortable with these things. I absolutely regret getting them and wish I could have them removed.

Please somebody tell me this gets better!

cbushnaq

#2 Post by cbushnaq »

I think it was around the 6 month mark that I finally started getting use to my braces. Though everytime I have an adjustment there will be anywhere from 1 day to a week of discomfort depending on what was done with the adjustment. My braces have been on for 14 months. Hopefully it will get better for you too.

C.

Chloe1

#3 Post by Chloe1 »

I've had mine for just six weeks now and I can't say that I'm exactly used to them and there are still some strange sensations. The thing that bugs me the most is I never know what it will feel like to close my teeth together because they seem to move every day. I had a normal bite before I did this so it's strange to not have my molars come together normally. (I'm correcting crowding).

At first, I did want to rip them out every morning because my teeth actually "itched". It is getting better. It is still weird though. Hang in there - like Meryaten said if you are really in pain due to wires or sores, that can be fixed. You will get used to the other sensations over time I think.

Good luck and just think how great we will look when it's done!!! I haven't gotten to be 44 to give up on this now!!!

mihaelici

#4 Post by mihaelici »

Hey there.. 2 months and a few days since braces.. I'm kind of used to them now, though the adjustment process involves a bit of pain sometimes (and my ortho said she wants to see me more often for adjustments.. every 10-15 days :shock: ).. sometimes I even forget about them, other times I hate them (especially during and after eating).. but I'm positive and optimistic, so hang in there, it does get better!
Good luck and all the best! :-1

cosmicgirl

#5 Post by cosmicgirl »

Poor you Bracesat40! It's taken me a long time too, to get used to all the metalwork in my mouth and I have often felt like ripping the braces out as they are so annoying! But hang on in there - the weirdness slowly diminishes! What helped me on my way was lots of cups of tea - Chai is my favourite, it has just the right amount of spiciness. It's so comforting! I also found I'd turned a corner once I started chewing gum again. AGONY at first, trying to crack through the coating, but once it was soft, I found I could make a sort of rudimentary chewing motion and my teeth started to ache less. Now I'm cracking my way through 4 or 5 sticks a day and my chewing is back to normal. Sunds mad, but try it!
My teeth are much more sensitive, but that's because they're on the move - and don't I notice the difference! Worth every twinge and dribble I can tell you!

joele

hang in there

#6 Post by joele »

Just take it one day at a time. If you can't stand it any longer you do have the choice and ability to get the braces taken off. Unfortunately it probably cost you a lot of $, and you won't have the results that you wanted in the beginning, but you have to do what is best for you and your peace of mind! Every day that you keep the braces on gets your teeth in better position, so try to hang in there. I have only had mine on for a month, and I have to admit that I have good days and bad days, just taking it one day at a time. Try to stay busy, keep your mind on other things...distraction is a great way to forget that the braces are there.

bracesat40

#7 Post by bracesat40 »

Thank you all for the responses. I guess I just thought having braces would simply look a bit awkward. I didn't think it would be so constantly irritating. The wires are not poking, although the brackets do rough up my cheeks and inner lips (but I use wax to help that).

My biggest source of discomfort is simply that I ALWAYS feel pressure on my teeth, and am always aware of them in my mouth. Also, the "taste" of them makes me feel ill. I despise eating with them, as food between the brackets and wires is not only disgusting looking, but also feels disgusting. I no longer enjoy dining out with friends and family. And that was a big part of my social life.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like too much of a complainer-- although I know I am coming across as one. The thought of having these on my teeth for 2 years just seems so daunting. I don't know how I'm going to make it through. I hate to be this miserable for that long!

Chloe1

#8 Post by Chloe1 »

Too funny!!! I feel your pain!!! My problem with eating is my very favorite food on earth - actually I should say meal - is salad. A day without salad is like torture for me. I make huge salads with all different kinds of vegetables and invariably I have huge chunks of tomato and different lettuces stuck between my teeth and on my brackets. It's really not that disgusting - My boyfriend just laughs at me. :lol: The only time I am self conscious is when I am dining with my bosses who only show up about once a month anyway. That's when the water comes in really handy!! Everyone else - friends and family - will get used it and actually don't care!! Just take you toothbrush and pick with you and clean up afterwards!!!!

I agree though - there are certain things in my braces when I eat that make me feel like I have a loose bracket or wire. Sort of a strange feeling.

Hang in there - too bad the taste of them makes you sick. I don't notice a taste. Is it metallic? Maybe sugar free breath mints would mask the taste.

PfectPitch

#9 Post by PfectPitch »

BA40: Something that has helped me a lot is Biotene mouthwash. It is alcohol free and really helps hydrate your mouth and make it feel better. Any dryness in your mouth is going to aggravate everything, so focus on hydration. You may also wish to try Biotene toothpaste as it is very mild and doesn't have any "soap" to dry out your mouth. If you are on ANY medications at all, check to see if they have drying properties, and try to switch to an alternative medication.

As for pressure, it can be aggravating. After 9 plus months, I still feel somedays as you do, like I want to rip them out just to momentarily get rid of the feeling of pressure. I'm now on high-torque wires/brackets, so it's there pretty much all the time. If it gets too annoying, don't feel like a wimp if you have to take some ibuprofen. Aim for treating yourself well! And hang in there, as you WILL learn all sorts of ways to cope. :)