Bad chin profile. will braces help?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VistaXP

Bad chin profile. will braces help?

#1 Post by VistaXP »

I have a flat chin that sort of stick out, similar to this picture but worse. I have an overjet on my top front. Also I've got bulging gums that stick out and not sure if extraction will help with that.

I went to consult with a orthodontist and he said I needed 4 tooth removed.

Will these extraction help improve my chin profile so its more curvy and push back?

PoliGirl

#2 Post by PoliGirl »

While everything said above is technically correct, it is true that depending on your personal case interesting things can happen. In my case, I have a weak chin and some jaw pain. After three months of braces, no special appliances yet, my upper arch has widened and somehow allowed my lower jaw to slide into a lower, more correct position. My ortho did not expect this to happen this way but I have a very slight change in profile and less tmj pain. Go figure. I'm not sure of the technical physiological changes that have happened or how stable this is but it is interesting and I'm not complaining!

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

PoliGirl

I have heard about this, too. Some people have a "forced bite" because jaws cannot be in their natural position because of a poor bite. Deepbite is one example of this.

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I guess it was when you have some overbite to start with, and when the bite gets deeper when you get older, your lower jaw is pushed backwards. Something like that I read from another forum a while ago.