Hello, new here.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JerryW

Hello, new here.

#1 Post by JerryW »

I just got my damon braces today, along with turbos and elastics which I wasn't expecting.

I am excited and looking forward to a better smile.

Oh yea, I'm 50, and never had braces before.

So I had a hot dog for lunch any good meal ideas out there?

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Jerry and welcome :)

You might find biting down with the turbos difficult to start with as your molars probably don't meet?

Having said that it's important to chew as much as you are able to and not baby your teeth too much. Chewing stimulates the blood supply to the periodontal ligament which surrounds the teeth.

I stuck to things like pasta for the first few days until I adjusted to all the hardware. After that I just went back eating pretty much what I did before. The only things I don't eat are whole apples, raw whole carrots and sticky sweets (things like that can damage your braces).

Hope you enjoy browsing the forum.

JerryW

#3 Post by JerryW »

Thanks, I had a good first few days eating, had pasta, chicken pot pie and shepards pie, so now I feel I can eat normal foods.
But boy does the cleaning ever take along time. I'm getting better every time but that was one thing that I overlooked when planning on getting braces.

HeadgearJoe

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

welcome jerry , there are many of us 50 plus in braces here joing the club an set back an wait for that new smile , CONGRATS on getting them
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Hi jerry, from another 50 something.

Cleaning up the mess is probably the worst thing about braces for most people. Sounds like you've got your meals figured out, well done you.