Hi, new here

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Spanner

Hi, new here

#1 Post by Spanner »

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would say hi and introduce myself. I'm 46, female and live in Essex England. I had braces as a kid but the outcome wasn't very successful but I've just learnt to live with my teeth. I'd never really seriously considered trying again and thought that people of my age never had braces anyway.

I have had lots of treatment in the past couple of years for gum disease but no dentist has ever mentioned the positioning of my teeth. 3 weeks ago I visited my dentist because I had developed yet another infection (which cleared up by itself). I was surprised to see my dentist had changed. The new dentist spent ages looking in my mouth, at my teeth, gums and bite without actually saying much. Then she said "well you know that a lot of your problems could be attributed to the fact that hardly any of your teeth actually meet where they are supposed to, i'm referring you to an Orthodontist". I was shocked as she had said at the beginning of my appointment that I would probably lose most of my teeth in the next 10 years because of my periodontal problems.

Anyway, I thought it would be a long wait before I heard anything but I got a letter in the post a few days ago so I phoned them and my consultation is next Wednesday. It's happened so quick I haven't had time to really think about it :shock:

I'm going to take some pics tonight and put them on here so you can see my lovely teeth :wink: I'm really looking forward to my consultation now and am excited about what they are going to tell me. But I'm not building my hopes up just incase it's way too expensive or I'm a hopeless case.

Sorry such a long post lol.

Spanner

Spanner

#2 Post by Spanner »

I've took some pics but they aren't very good because I never realised just how hard it is to take pics of your teeth yourself. Please excuse the awful colour of them. It's the result of years of drinking red wine and eating curry. Also the mouthwash I have to use to treat my gum disease (Corsodyl) makes them go brown. I didn't realise how awful they looked until I took these pics because I never really look at them so critically. :cry:

Natural smile:

Open mouth:

Bite:

Last edited by Spanner on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Spanner and welcome to AW.

That consultation was pretty quick to come through. No wonder you haven't had time to think about it much! Good that you're looking forward to it though, and if getting treatment means keeping your teeth longer then hopefully both you and the orthodontist will consider it a worthwhile venture.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I remembered a very useful post of Meryaten's that she often quotes when new people join and aren't sure what to expect from a consultation or what to ask the orthodontist. I've copied and pasted it from another thread.
I always feel that, at a minimum, everyone should try to come out of a consultation understanding:
What their diagnosis is - what problems exist that need to be corrected.

What the treatment plan entails -
Duration (best estimate)
Any extra hardware that might be involved - expanders (fixed or removable), bite plates, elastics, molar build-ups, headgear, mini-screw implants, etc.
Whether any surgery or extractions are required (including wisdom teeth)

What is the ortho's reasonable expectation of the stability of the results? (also indicated by what sort of retainer regimen will be advised in the long-term?)

Whether there will be any compromises necessary. i.e. would there by anything that might not be fully corrected? Basically, what results could you expect?

Pros and cons to treatment - might there be any expected long-term consequences of not treating your bite?

Costs, and what is included (e.g. most include records and retainers, but not all do)
And, if there are multiple possible treatment plans, be sure to understand all of the above for each, so you can properly compare.
I'd recommend making a few notes when you go for your consultation and if there's anything you aren't clear on, you can always call the ortho back later and ask, or post on here and we will do our best to help. :wink:

Spanner

#5 Post by Spanner »

Thanks everyone for your support.

Thanks Lisa for the list of questions I need to ask at the consultation, I've printed it out to take with me.

Has anyone here ever took their partner to a consultation? I just thought it would be easier to take him with me so that I don't have to try and remember everything that is said.

Thanks for the suggestion of starting a blog Karen. I did think about doing that but decided I would wait until after my consult just incase for whatever reason I don't go through with the treatment.

Oh I forgot to mention before that when I phoned to make the appointment I was told that there was an 8 week wait she offered me a date of 23rd Jan. I think she could tell how dissappointed I was and said she could just about fit me in next Wednesday if that was ok (i must have a persuasive voice) :wink:

Spanner

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I would never steal your thunder Meryaten (hence me quoting you as the author of this piece) :wink:

It's a good way to ask what you need to know when you go for your consult. Spanner, it's unlikely that the ortho would mind you taking your other half. Two sets of ears and brains are always going to better than one!

I didn't take hubby to my consultation, but I took him when I had my screws done cos I was petrified, but my ortho was absolutely fine with me bringing him.

Traceymay

#7 Post by Traceymay »

Hi Spanner!

My ortho suggested that if I wanted I could bring my partner with me for my consultation. Always best to check first though. :wink:

Good luck for next wednesday and your journey :jump:

Traceymay