Legally Certified?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DavidT

Legally Certified?

#1 Post by DavidT »

How can I find out if my dentist is legally certified to do ortho? Is there a website I can go to?

adultbraces

Re: Legally Certified?

#2 Post by adultbraces »

DavidT wrote:How can I find out if my dentist is legally certified to do ortho? Is there a website I can go to?
This should help.
American Association of Orthodontists
http://www.braces.org/contactus.cfm

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

I thought general practice dentists could also take weekend courses in ortho and learn some basics, therefore probably wouldn't be certified by any orthodontic board memberships unless they actually went through an extra couple years to become an Orthodontist. I don't think there is a law where a dentist must be certified to do orthodontic work but must have gone through extra years of schooling to become and earn the title of Orthodontist.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix