questions on debanding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dcbraces

questions on debanding

#1 Post by dcbraces »

My ortho told me that i would be debanded this week at last my appt without taking any x rays. Is that normal?

Also, i personally don't think i am ready to be debanded as i have two rather large gaps (one on ea side) behind the canines (top). When I raised this my ortho said it was due to my tooth shape but i've been looking at other people pics and i think the gaps should be closed. Gaps are about 4 mm

Normally, i would just do what the dr ordered but i am beginning to think my ortho wants to highlight me in his marketing materials. he said i am his "fastest" case ever (11 months). am i being paranoid?

Ariesinatl

#2 Post by Ariesinatl »

I would stand by your belief and instincts. They rarely prove wrong. If you think the gaps should be closed, tell him this again. After all they're your teeth and you'll have to live with them. Not him.

I hate to say it, but if he doesn't give a good reason and you don't feel confident, insist on having something done to have the gaps closed.

You are the customer afterall.

And I don't think you're paranoid, more likely highly observant
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

Regina Rose

#3 Post by Regina Rose »

I had upper 1st bicuspid extractions in August of 2006 and my ortho is still working to close the gap on the left side. We're almost there (it's been slow but steady progress) but I'm guessing it will still take him another month or two before that part of my treatment is complete.

Gaps of 4 mm are, IMO, huge and would be completely unacceptable to me. My own dentist, who got his orthodontic treatment in dental school, refused to wear his braces long enough to finish closing his extraction gaps (he was getting married and wanted them off early) and has told me he is now self-conscious about those gaps.

What has your ortho done to try and close them? I have relatively stubborn, slow moving teeth but the coiled springs I've been wearing have been quite effective.

dcbraces

#4 Post by dcbraces »

my ortho hasn't done anything to try and close them beyond the normal archwires. the teeth are nicely aligned but the gap is significan and noticible (from the side) but def visible.

I will say something to him. He's not the best listener but I don't want the braces coming off early just to get them off. I do want the teeth to be in the best shape possible when debraced since I am sure they will move (if even slightly) after.

thanks for the bucking up. you're right. i have to be my own advocate.