How Wide

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kimous

How Wide

#1 Post by kimous »

Just a quick question. Since i have braces it appears my arch is becoming narrower then before i had braces. Getting a little worried.

I have the damon system. Lots of screw ups has been happening to my teeth and getting them sorted. However just abit worried about the arch. Can I expect a more rounder and wider arch when this treatment is finished.

Kim

DavidT

#2 Post by DavidT »

I have the same problem. I'm being told a narrower arch is the inherent result from teeth extractions. I'm pretty ticked I wasn't told about it before I made the decision.

kimous

#3 Post by kimous »

i havnt any extractions. Can braces widen the arch a little? When i first went for my initial appointment. The ortho gave me the impression that he can widen the arch. I just want to know whether braces can widen the arch a little. If not then ive been misled.

Spanner

#4 Post by Spanner »

I haven't been able to take a pic of the inside of my mouth but I think my arches are very narrow compared to some of these pictures. This I'm sure is due to extractions. As a result my cheeks sometimes look sunken. I'm hoping that when I get braces that whatever I have done will give my face a fuller look.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

I've had extractions of all my first premolars and my arch doesn't seem narrower. If anything, it has helped with my overjet and people are noticing that my profile looks heaps better. I've received many compliments on my teeth, especially after the gaps have decreased.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix