Does anyone have TAD's or mini screws?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KathyC

Does anyone have TAD's or mini screws?

#1 Post by KathyC »

I went to my Ortho the other day and had my first adjustment. While I was there he was looking at my X-rays and molds and said that he would like to insert mini screws in my jaw to help with the alignment. This was the first time he had ever mentioned that and it kind of freaked me out a little. He said he wouldn't put them in for awhile, probably at around six months or so. (I've only had my braces for almost 8 weeks). He said that putting them in would be painless since I would be numb but just the thought of having those little screws put into my jaw sounds awful!!!! He even showed me how small they are but that really didn't help.

Does anyone have these? Were they really painless to be put in?

Kathyc

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

hi Kathy

I have 2 miniscrews which were put in January and March respectively. My ortho did them and you can see pics and read about it on my blog if you want.

viewtopic.php?t=12724&postdays=0&postor ... &start=150

I am a terrible wuss when it comes to anything "invasive" like injections and these screws, but they really didn't hurt. All I felt was a bit of pressure, and once the numbness wore off it throbbed slightly for a few hours. By the next day it was fine.

It's not as bad as you think, honestly.

Chris1960

#3 Post by Chris1960 »

My ortho told me he was going to do that. I was wondering what it was all about. It looks kind of painful though.

braceface1969

#4 Post by braceface1969 »

I never heard of them.it sounds painful.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

As I said, it wasn't painful :)

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I was told I might need them too but ortho will wait a while longer.

Lisa - You're my hero! AGAIN, even though one of your screws failed, you still went for it again!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

blacksunrevival

#7 Post by blacksunrevival »

ive had TADs for over two years, got em in the beginning of my treatment at the same time as extractions. i was out so i didnt feel a thing. i remember it was kinda achy for a few days after though. after a while you wont even notice it, just gotta make sure they tie to it in such a way that the wire isnt stabbing ur gums or lip :wink:

blacksunrevival

#8 Post by blacksunrevival »

oh yeah, i think i was one of the first to get em. my ortho told me i was kinda like a SPAM. hahaha

blacksunrevival

#9 Post by blacksunrevival »

oops ...double post