Cavity problem

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WomanInWires

Cavity problem

#1 Post by WomanInWires »

Hi Everybody,
This is my first post :) I am a 30 year old woman whos been in fixed braces for 4 weeks now to correct crowding/twisting issues on both top and bottom teeth. My teeth are lovely and white and I was advised to stay away from veneers and work with the teeth I already have. I am finding the whole process very painful all of the time but i'm putting that down to my age/ resistance of teeth etc etc.

My canines (which are twisted) are untwisting away from my Lateral Incisors and this has revealed cavities in the side of the Lateral Incisors. I am due to see my ortho on Tuesday, but I am really worried about what can be done about the cavities. I wil be in braces for the next 2 yrs so these cavities cant be left alone. I am really worried that I will be going through this pain for nothing as when the teeth are straight they will be so stained and filled that it will just look horrid. If that is what im left with then i would rather just stop the treatment on the top teeth and have them all crowned/veneered. Can anybody give me any advice as I suspect that as more teeth are moved and straightened more problems may be revealed. Can fillings be done while a person is in braces? Will this involve the braces coming off for any length of time?
Thanks in advance

WomanInWires

#2 Post by WomanInWires »

Hi kk,

Oh thanks for that advice!! I feel much better about it all now, I was nervous about having braces and have had nothing but sore teeth for the whole 4 weeks i've had them, so to start finding cavities, it made me lose a bit of confidence in the treatment, I have a feeling that the dentist will have to take the arch wire out to do the fillings but now Iknow staining and cavities can be sorted I feel much better :) Thanks again
WomanInWires

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Meryaten wrote:It depends where the filling needs to be done, but yeah it is indeed often possible to do this work whilst barced. And you'd also be frankly amazed by how discreet composite fillings can be today! Jennielee's daughter needed one recently ona front tooth, and it looks fantastic.
Yep, my daughter's filling on a front incisor is flawless!!

They had to remove the bracket and wire to get to the surface where the filling was and then to get a good smooth finish on it the dentist had to have access to the entire face of the tooth.

It should be just fine! Let us know how it goes.

Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Echo26

#4 Post by Echo26 »

Composites are truthfully a godsend, because of the demineralization on my top front teeth I have roughly 6-10 fillings on the face on my teeth, and the dentist did such a good job that when I went into a consult for my upcoming braces, the orthodontist didn't even notice that they were there! :shock:

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

Yep, no problem. I had the same thing. Whe the teeth moved...HELLO!
I made a appointment the same day as my ortho appointment and went to the orthos first to remove my wire then went to the dentists office for some filling (and have him take a real good look and fix everything he sees now) went back to orthos for my appointment and voondava (sp) teeth are all fixed up with a fresh adjustment good for another month.

Note:
I FREEKED (was consumed!) when I saw things. I thought "My teeth are going to move back before I can get these things filled" Just talked to the dental asst. telling her my concerns when other teeth moved and they got me in right away. Most orthos like it when you stay on top of your program. They don't mind if you're coming in for help with your dental work but again, I find that I always make both appointments for the same day on my regular scheduled monthly appointment day it works out 100% I get in my car after the orthos appointment getting my new wires thinking "wow, way eaiser than I thought, it wasn't so bad or worth worring so much about.
One other note...sorry... my dentist and ortho are real close to each other. If they didn't depending on how far they were I'd go to the orthos the evening before then the next day have my dental appt and ortho appt. It will all work out.
Know this may happen through out your treatment as things move.

From total experience try not to fret to much when you see something, just call and it always works out. (Now if we could just send someone else to sit in the dentist chair as he fixes...BAAHAAAHAAA!)

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I had a filling done and they just asked me to take the wire out. Depending on how deep your cavity is, you probably won't need something as drastic as a crown.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix