Why are my teeth getting worse!?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildreamer

Why are my teeth getting worse!?

#1 Post by lildreamer »

Hi all, erm sorry if this is a stupid question but im quite worried! i had braces fitted about nealry 2 months ago and things have been aligning ok at the bottom but the top is getting worse! my front central and the lateral directly beneath it are now clanging into each other - with the front central moving back and the bottom lateral moving forward .. i think it might even turn into a crossbite as they are now vertially straight...

my ortho really isnt talkative and responsive when i ask questions (i had to choose her though because of location) and so i dont know what to do.

im sure it will be sorted come the end but until then i really dont want a crossbite in my front centrals with my lateral sticking out!

any advice or comments appreciated, thanks so much :D

lildreamer

#2 Post by lildreamer »

anyone got any ideas? im a troubled teen :( thank uu

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hold your horses :lol: those of us who live in the UK will only just be getting home from work, and US members are still mid morning.

Things can seem worse before they get better. It depends how much movement needs to be done in the respective arches. If there's a fair bit of crowding then the teeth have to kind of moved slowly round to make room for all teeth in the arch, and you can get different ones hitting. At the moment my top and bottom 2nd premolars are the only teeth in my mouth which touch :lol:

Can't be more specific, but basically that's what's happening. Check all your brackets with your finger once a day to make sure none have come off, because of course if a bracket comes off a tooth then that tooth won't move along with the others. But if all brackets are in place, then things will proceed as they should.

muppet

#4 Post by muppet »

Hi,

I am now starting to experience the same thing. I have been braced for just over a month top and bottom. My teeth don't meet up anymore when I bite together. They all feel loose and I can move them with my tongue. Only two teeth touch at the moment when I bite down not sure which ones as it all feel so weird :? I'm sure its because everything is moving as it should but I have now started to grind these two touching teeth :shock: i have never been a grinder. Also the wire is now rubbing again on that side so it is back to the wax :( . I am trying to view it as a good thing as it means movement but I hate my bite feeling all messed up and my teeth not meeting together :x

:banana: Thought I would add a dancing banana or two to cheer me up :banana:

muppet

#5 Post by muppet »

Waaaah!!!

I just had a sneezing fit and each time I sneezed the only two touching teeth banged together and it HURT!!! so much for the dancing banana think I might need a pillow to bite on next time I sneeze :lol:

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

muppet, I feel your pain

One time I was in town browsing round BHS, and I clashed two tender teeth together, and it hurt so much that I actually swore out loud :shock:

BobKitten

#7 Post by BobKitten »

i don't know if this will help, but i remember having the feeling that my teeth actually looked worse when the orthodontistry started happening. in my case, my front two were separated and i had quite the gap-toothed Madonna-in-the-eighties look (or ex-Man Yoo player, Joe THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR, if you'd prefer!) :GapToothed:

the ortho knew her stuff though, and now i find my teeth have moved back - to exactly where they should be :D it could be that things have to look a little worse before they start looking better - but, really, the person to ask is your ortho - good luck :thumbsup:

Chris1960

#8 Post by Chris1960 »

I feel like my bite changes every few days. I can't really see anything changing (for the good anyway). I do notice one of my front incisors sticking up higher than the others but nothing looks straighter.

ibraceface

#9 Post by ibraceface »

Have no fear! My two front teeth that were the ONLY straight teeth in my mouth prior to braces... have suddenly started criss-crossing eachother...

I flipped out--- and my orthodontist assured me that things do get worse before they get better... and that sometimes they have to do that as they are working on other teeth. They purposely crowded my two front teeth to make space to rotate my canine... It all made sense when she explained it...

1. Trust your ortho. They KNOW what they're doing.
2. Ask questions- it's what they are there for (not to mention, what YOU are paying for!)
3. When it comes to braces.... something weird going on is usually normal. Haha.

:)...

Believe me... I ask my questions! I go in with a lengthy list of questions everytime! :)

Chris1960

#10 Post by Chris1960 »

ibraceface wrote: 3. When it comes to braces.... something weird going on is usually normal. Haha.
:lol:
I like that.

cosmicgirl

#11 Post by cosmicgirl »

Muppet - sneezing is bad enough, but have you ventured outside yet? My teeth started chattering with the cold - and that was SO painful. Clang! Ding! Zing!! And impossible to stop too..... :gavel:

Filip

#12 Post by Filip »

teeth move in strange ways......

the only thing that is certain in life, is that the archwire will move teeth into an arched position along the wire.....

man, i'm just full of myself today :D

no, but seriously dreamer, what you are experiencing is quite common. gets worse before it gets better.

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

Miss Smiley

#13 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oh my, I think we all went through this stage. I've passed that stage with things looking funny in the front and I'm dealing with my molars not touching in the right places or where they used to. For a while, I did worry that my teeth were horrendous from the gaps opening and closing. Laterals, centrals, and canines were clanking about and making me wince in pain at the most random moments, mostly when talking or sleeping. Now, I can't stop looking at my smile and I'm only 8 months in! I can't believe how quickly things have gone by! You'll get past this awkward stage and start to see your smile come together.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kimous

#14 Post by kimous »

Hi everyone,

Its a relief to see this however i was wondering whether i should be concerned because i have my braces for 1 year one month. My bottom teeth lined up really quickly and looked really good after only a few months into braces but now it looks like they pushed one side in too far and the arch looks more narrow.

The top however is a mess. It looked quite straight initially but now most of my teeth look like they have moved to the left heaps and now my centre line is way off. The canine that is on my right has now moved and tilted to the left also. It really looks like they have stuffed the whole thing up.

My main concern is if they tilt things in can they tilt it back out again.

What also gives me the sesame is that i have been soo cooperative to this point. When teeth started doing the shifting to the left which shouldnt and my teeth werent like that to start off with. I was told to get a bone screw to get everything moving back to their positions again. That cost heaps and on top of things I had to go under GA. This whole procedure has cost soo much more then i anticipated. I feel quite fustrated that the orthodontist admitted that he stuffed up. They go oh your teeth has shifted to the left now we need a bone screw.

Has anyone had things go bad 13 months into treatment and has finished their procedure with nice results.

Kim

cosmicgirl

#15 Post by cosmicgirl »

Oh Kim - poor you!
Should you really have to pay for the remedial work, if your ortho admits that's he's to blame? If it's his fault, he should put his mistake right and carry the cost himself.
It's bad enough that you're dismayed with the result, but having to fork out extra to put it right, is just not on.
I'm sad to hear of treatment going wrong - this messageboard is always full of such positive news. I hope you manage to sort everything out soon.