Do you really eat ANYTHING you want?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

4113n

#16 Post by 4113n »

:? if hamburgers are considered "hard" then.. can you even eat anything at all? =P

i eat everything... after 4months without gum.. it was awesome when i had some again xD

avoiding apples since i kind of dont like them

mariahfromchicago

I eat whatever I want

#17 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I was given a no-no list, but I threw it out within months of my brace day XD. I am a vegetarian (consumes dairy products and eggs). I do eat lots of ice cream after I get my braces tightened, oh yeah and applesauce too.
I did break a bracket, but not because of eating, FYI it fell off in my sleep.
I do not like eating whole apples. I still chew gum. I do not like popcorn much.

- mariah

bwonger06

#18 Post by bwonger06 »

I'll eat anything and everything except apples.

By the way my first post here.

Pepper

#19 Post by Pepper »

I'll pretty much eat whatever I want...except for really chewy candies and apples (I'll cut the apples up, though).

SnowSara

Re: I eat whatever I want

#20 Post by SnowSara »

I did break a bracket, but not because of eating, FYI it fell off in my sleep.
Mariah that made me giggle a little bit because I've had so many dreams of brackets and wires falling off in my sleep, but to have it actually happen must have been quite the surprise!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Nervous

#21 Post by Nervous »

Only things I don't eat are really sticky, like caramel or gum. I really miss gum :(
Twin Blocks: August 19th, 2004
Braced: September 21st, 2005
Debanded: July 11th, 2008

maryrn

#22 Post by maryrn »

I eat almost everything I ate before I had the braces but did cut out nuts and gummy bears (all types of gummy candy) which I used to love to eat. I was told not to eat popcorn but I LOVE popcorn so didn't give it up. Common sense plays a big part in all of this.

TexasAggie09

#23 Post by TexasAggie09 »

My first orthodontist told me, as a teenager, to avoid all sorts of things, including hard candies, gum, nuts, popcorn... basically everything that has been mentioned so far. But of course, I still did anyways, and they never caused any problems. As an adult, my current ortho doesn't give a "no-eating" list, and actually recommends (sugar-free) gum.

But like other people, I try to avoid biting directly into things like sandwiches. I also try to stay away from nuts... they get stuck, and they always seem to cause my power-chain on the bottom to snap.

Other foods that I stay away from are just to try to keep my ligatures clear for as long as possible! Coffee, coke, etc...

jackie100

#24 Post by jackie100 »

I eat EVERYTHING, hamburgers etc.

The thing though is that I have a habit of NEVER biting in my food directly even BEFORE I had braces, the main reason why I never bite in my food is because I don't want to mess up my lip gloss or look unattractive shoving food in my mouth (lip gloss slides off faster when biting directly into food but fares better when I break up food and then eat it), so I always break my food into pieces with my fingers and then eat it, I've been eating like this for 10+ years so it comes natural to me and I have no problem eating anything, and I eat anything!

Eating is not the problem. The problem is waiting for braces to come off.

jinxed

#25 Post by jinxed »

I eat whatever I want really..except chewing gum because i have an image in my head of it getting stuck all over my braces. Theres things i wont eat in public (like corn on he cob, burgers, things that i have to bite into etc) cause it's not pretty and i feel quite embarassed about it but i'll eat them at home and i havent damaged anything.

AngelOfLife

#26 Post by AngelOfLife »

Its common sense I guess.

I couldn't bite into anything for a while, like some others said. My top front teeth had the most work to do, and have been tender the most too. Perfectly fine now, but for nearly 3 months they were just way too tender to use.

I did pay a lot of attention to what I ate first of all, making sure it wasn't too hard etc. but as time goes on...I eat everything that I used to, besides apples. (7, almost 8 months with braces, apples still hurt to eat, even when cut up).

LadyTr0uble

#27 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Everything and anything is fair game, and I haven't done my teeth any harm, except for a bent wire, or three. I do get "the look" from my dentist here and there, but no harm done, as I am ahead of schedule, right?

PS-I was having fried chicken, skin and all, with a week... the skin was one of the culprits in bending wires

wired after 50

#28 Post by wired after 50 »

I had a tuna sub sandwich at lunch today and was actually able to bite into it better than before I was braced. My main reason for getting braces was TMJ that had kept me from being able to bit into anything for almost 6 months before I was even braced. I just could not open my jaw wide enough. I was already having to cut everything into small pieces and eating a lot of soup. My doctor would not put me in a night guard because my bottom teeth were so crooked. I still have some issues with the TMJ but not like I did.

I stay away from popcorn because of the mess and rarely eat nuts for the same reason. I have been lazy and eating canned fruit because it is easier than say and apple or a pear that I would have to cut up. I have never been a big sweet eater but did have some of the pralines I made about an hour ago. (One of those rare nutty occasions). If you had told me when I was braced I would be eating everything I can at this point I would never have believed you.

Hang in there!!!!!!!!!! It gets much better and is way worth it.

Susan

sean83

#29 Post by sean83 »

My teeth make it hard enough to eat apples so I won't miss those (after tomorrow when I get braced!).

In terms of food, I'll wait and see what I can cope with...however I've been wondering about drinks. I understand fizzy drinks aren't allowed...but please tell me that doesn't include beer! :x

sean83

#30 Post by sean83 »

Great answer, clears things up a lot! Especially after the conflicting contradictory leaflet they gave me today! Beer it is then, best steer clear of whisky & coke though...

One thing the leaflet said was tea and coffee were fine any time without sugar, but I wondered if sweeteners have the same acidic effect?