Ceramic braces - opinions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eggraid101

Ceramic braces - opinions?

#1 Post by eggraid101 »

Hello, I hope I've been able to help some of you during your orthodontic treatment...well, now I need your help! I've been using Clarity brackets in my practice as an option for my patients who prefer to have ceramic brackets. The problem, as many of you know, is that the clear ligature ties that hold the wire in discolor easily, turning different shades of yellow before being replaced at the next appointment.

I've been thinking about switching to a ligature-free ceramic bracket, to avoid the yellow staining that happens. But that means there will be a little more metal visible because of the "clip" mechanism.

So which would you rather have in a ceramic bracket:

A ceramic bracket with less metal that will discolor yellow for most people between appointments.

OR

A ceramic bracket with a little more metal, but won't discolor at all.

Thanks for your help!
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

I'd rather have a ceramic bracket with a little more metal, but won't discolor at all. I'd rather have this because most of the complains about ceramics are that the clear ligatures stain and discolour.

:D

eggraid101

#3 Post by eggraid101 »

Thanks for your input!

For the record, I've got Macs in my office...I love them, too.
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

ilovemacs

#4 Post by ilovemacs »

Yay! Go Macs!!

travelbug

#5 Post by travelbug »

I'd have to see what the ligature-free ceramic brackets look like to see just how much "a little more metal" actually means... but at face value I'd probably rather have the ceramic bracket with less metal that discolors. The discoloring is really very unnoticeable, in my opinion, and usually occurs only on my back teeth where people can't see the discoloration anyways.

Quirky Girl

#6 Post by Quirky Girl »

I was actually given this choice and chose the S/L ceramics. I have InOvation C clear upper and lower and although they do have metallic hinges that are visible, most people still don't notice that I have braces. I'm not sure if this is because the braces aren't very noticeable or if it's because most people are so self absorbed??? :lol: BTW I chose the S/L brackets because I had read so many complaints on this board about lig staining.

platinum

#7 Post by platinum »

I would take those ligature-free ceramic bracket, if I could choose. I have now normal ceramic brackest and the ligs do stain. Allthough, I found out that grey ligs do not stain too much compared to clear ones.

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

I only have sapphire braces with ligs honestly, I love them. Unless I eat cajun, curry, or soy sauce, they don't stain too terribly. The idea of self-ligating interests me but I like my super clear brackets. I have learned that the stained ligs aren't really noticeable to others and they still ask why I wear my retainers when I go out. Plus, I've learned what foods will stain horribly and what foods I can manage without staining as long as I brush right away.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

NKovaci88

#9 Post by NKovaci88 »

I have ceramics and staining hasn't really been an issue, but if it was, I wouldn't mind having some extra metal showing to prevent that. So I'll go with the second option: A ceramic bracket with less metal that won't discolor.

Chloe1

#10 Post by Chloe1 »

I have the Innovation C also and really like them. Yes, you can see the metal in them and I've seen the perfectly clear ones and might prefer them but not having ligs is great.

eggraid101

#11 Post by eggraid101 »

I'm glad to hear those with Innovation C like them; those are the ones I'm considering.
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

LateStarter

#12 Post by LateStarter »

If the point of the exercise is to switch to a self-ligating bracket in order to eliminate the discolouring issue, I didn't think the first option would be a contender, would it? Or does that first option still have ligs? Sorry if I got confused :)

If you'd asked this question before I got my braces, I would have said the bracket that doesn't discolour at all because, like many people, I read a lot about the ligs staining and I was getting worried. Now that I have braces, though, I have Inspire Ice with pearl ligs and they haven't stained at all yet (it's only been a week, though, and I haven't really 'tested' them with the foods that are known to cause staining, although I haven't given up coffee!).

So, to answer the question: knowing what I know now, I'd choose the less-conspicous bracket with the chance of discolouration since I know it's not really much of an issue for me. But before braces, I would have chosen the bracket with no discolouration.

Clairey Fairey

#13 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Ooooh tough one, but I'd say stick with the ligs. If your careful with what u eat they won't stain - much. Ok it's hard to prevent it altogether but I'd still say I'd rather stick with the lig brackets.

Betty Bat

#14 Post by Betty Bat »

I'd stick with the "less-metal" option also. I had sapphire uppers and to tell you the truth, I never really knew what color ligs I had! It was never an issue - didn't worry about staining and I would never wear brightly colored ligs. So I always got something that was clear or off-white, as far as I could tell.

Having metal lowers and Sapphire uppers, I would say that I would prefer as little metal on the uppers as possible!

kittymeow84

#15 Post by kittymeow84 »

I'm really liking all this praise for the In-Ovation C brackets! The less conspicuous the better I say!

I would definitely choose no ligs - even though I'm not braced yet...I just want small and unnoticable....Always been a bit of a minimalist! :lol: