Newbie Here - Just Braced Up Today

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ACoach78

Newbie Here - Just Braced Up Today

#1 Post by ACoach78 »

Hey folks,

I stumbled upon this website a while back. I thought I'd participate as it looked like fun.

I'm 29 (30 in Feb) and like many others, the cost of braces was the inhibiting factor when I was going through my middle school and teen years. I swore that I'd get it done as an adult and it has taken a while, but the day has finally arrived. It took me a lot of penny pinching and an occasional second job to put enough away to make a nice large down payment. But, after 4.5 years of never touching my savings account, I was able to pay over half of my treatment right away.

So far, no major issues. Although, as I sit here and type this, eating is a little different. I'm not looking forward to the teeth brushing or flossing, either.

I guess I'll really feel them tomorrow and beyond from what they told me. I'm cool with that. Pain is progress. I'm kind of fascinated by the whole process. Sort of wish I had been able to do this years ago.

I wish I had pics for you guys, but I don't own a digital camera. I guess I'm a little behind the times technologically. For that matter, I don't own a camera, period.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Take care,
Chris

juliejewels

#2 Post by juliejewels »

Congrats. I , too, just got my braces today. My parents could not afford them. I am 36 and so happy to be finally able to do this. I have saved enough to pay off the treatment, but am holding off and will just pay monthly. ( In case I move or something) .

I am a middle school teacher and I came to school this morning after getting them put on. All the kids love that I have them too. I had to be flashy and got platinum ( gold) braces. They look pretty.

(Maybe I will help them to get through that weird awkward phase. If they only know how weird and awkward I feel!!!)

Good luck!!!

Julie

ilovemacs

#3 Post by ilovemacs »

Image Chris to the Archwired.com community!! Eating can be slightly different for the first few days, I suggest noodles as they are soft. Brushing is fairly easy if you follow the instructions the ortho gave you. Flossing can be tricky at first it just takes practise.

That's great on being able to save money for braces. Hopefully it makes feel good that you're doing something great for yourself!

That's okay you don't have a camera, no worries!!

Good Luck with your treatment!! :D

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Welcome to the both of you! Don't forget to keep hydrated and use wax whenever those pesky brackets start to bug you! You might find that biting into foods with your front teeth a bit weird or difficult for a while, just cut things up and mash away with your molars! You may need some OTC pain killers to take before meal time. It's okay to take them if you're in pain, why suffer when there is a solution? Welcome and you may want to read through the newbies forum as well!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Before your b-day ...
* warm salt water rinses once a day – a pinch of salt in a small amount of warm water
* setup your travel dental cleaning kit, or buy a dentakit from this site
* stock up on consumables ... wax, mouthwash, interdental brushes, stiff ended floss etc
* never forget why you're doing this
* keep a positive attitude

On your b-day ...
* go to the toilet
* cover your lips with balm
* keep positive

After your b-day ...
* continue the daily salt rinses
* wax to prevent sores
* keep your body well hydrated
* chew to increase blood flow in your gums
* make sure your oral hygiene is A1
* be confident with your decision
* remember ... braces do not prevent us from doing anything, only we can do that!
* stay positive!

Here's to your journey being a great one! :banana:

HeadgearJoe

#7 Post by HeadgearJoe »

hi chris , an a BIG WELCOME to our BRACEFACE club
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

Chris and Julie, welcome. Don't worry about not being able to post pics. Not everybody here does.

Tim, do us all a favour and ditch the darn banana :? I'm sure I am not the only person here who has seen enough of it.

SDFD TSchott

#9 Post by SDFD TSchott »

oops my bad I forgot that stupid bannana was in there! I will see if Lynn could edit that post for me and get rid of the bannana

Sorry about that!

~Tim~

newguy

#10 Post by newguy »

welcome from one soon to be newbie to another!

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

Tis OK Tim :lol:

jennielee81

#12 Post by jennielee81 »

WELCOME to the club CHRIS!!

We look forward to supporting you through this trip and celebrating your successes!

Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Nervous

#13 Post by Nervous »

Welcome. Have some advil handy, I thought when I first got my braces "Oh there is no pain at all!" but then it slowly crept up on me =P
Twin Blocks: August 19th, 2004
Braced: September 21st, 2005
Debanded: July 11th, 2008

browneyedgrl

#14 Post by browneyedgrl »

I second what newguy said. Welcome to the club!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

AliKat

#15 Post by AliKat »

Welcome all you newly braced people - this board is great , we are all here supporting each other!! :-1