This Saturday, 12/22, will be THE Day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newguy

This Saturday, 12/22, will be THE Day

#1 Post by newguy »

Yup, I’m finally joining the club here at AW. After several months of consultations, teeth cleanings, root planning and scaling, cavity removals and wisdom teeth extractions, my B-day is right around the corner. Like many members here, I have always needed braces since I was a kid, but because of my family’s financial situation they were put off. Now I’m in a position where I can finally get my teeth and oral health in gear.

At first, I had it in my mind that this "mid-thirty-something" guy would only get lingual braces or nothing at all. I didn't want anyone (except wifey who supports fully) to know that I had braces, but after reading everyone’s posts and brace stories, I truly felt encouraged and empowered to move forward without having to have linguals.

Thank you AW community for just opening up and sharing your personal stories.

Keep you posted.

LateStarter

#2 Post by LateStarter »

Hi, newguy :)

I agree, this forum has been really encouraging for me as well. I've had plenty of little worries that have all been calmed by reading other people's experiences.

Good luck with your treatment, and I look forward to following your progress.

newguy

#3 Post by newguy »

Thanks Latestarter. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I'm going to have my upper and lower bicuspids extracted as well. Not looking forward to that. No pain no gain, right?

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Newguy, welcome aboard! You'll soon find that your orthodontic journey will be exciting and when you feel down in the slumps about it, you will always find support here! 30 something on here is around the average, you have nothing to feel old about! You'll adjust rather quickly and soon forget all your worries about being braced. Again, WELCOME!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

ilovemacs

#5 Post by ilovemacs »

Welcome to AW!!! Good luck! :D

Future

#6 Post by Future »

Reading posts like this motivates me to keep pushing forward. Congrats on your progress. :D

newguy

#7 Post by newguy »

Thanks guys for your positive energy. I'll put up progress pics after the holidays.

mottsrods

#8 Post by mottsrods »

WELCOME

Don't think that your thirties is too old to do this. I am 33 and this is my 3rd time in them. Hopefully my last.......Keep us all up to date and start a blog so you can see how you change from start to finish.

Mott

acd

#9 Post by acd »

Welcome to the club. There are things worse than being a mid-thirites guy with braces--you could have waited until your late thirties like I did or even worse not done anything at all. I was worried about what other people would think and got ceramic upper brackets but if I had to do it over again I probably would have gone with metal because they're smaller in your mouth and I've found after a year that no one other than you cares that you have braces. Congratulations on beginning the process--you won't regret it.

iBorg

#10 Post by iBorg »

Thirty was almost twenty years ago....Enjoy this time! Gray hair comes quickly.

Congrats on starting the journey. In many ways getting through the first month will be the hardest. Remember always that hopefully treatment will make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

Take pictures pre braces. Take pictures with braces as soon as you can. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks or a month, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the board. Whatever you do in this process try to have fun. Maintaining a positive attitude truly will make this a good experience instead of a treatment to tolerate.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

AliKat

#11 Post by AliKat »

Hi newguy, Im 26 and this is my first time in braces, Ive had mine in 3 weeks now!

My first week was quite sore to eat things but now its fine, they just feel normal in my mouth now!! Ive only got my uppers done and no teeth were extracted so Ive not been through all that but you'll be fine - dont worry!!

Good luck for your b-day!!

newguy

#12 Post by newguy »

it's official. i'm a pround member of this exclusive club. i just got back from my dentist/ortho office 2 hrs ago. i now have upper ceramics and will have the lowers placed in 2 months - some of my upper teeth need to move before this can happen. i also had my upper and lower 1st premolars extracted as well. that was the most difficult part of today. doc said i had skinny roots which broke off during the extraction so he had to cut and dig to get it all out and stitch up the areas as well. thank God for nitrous and meds. feeling a little loopy right now so i'll update with pics at a later time.

peace out AW community. thank you all, especially my wonderful wife, for your ecouragement and support.