Lip getting caught and swollen due to elastic

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WhistlerSarah

Lip getting caught and swollen due to elastic

#1 Post by WhistlerSarah »

Hi Everyone!
My name is Sarah. I'm 29 years old. I've had metal braces since May 2006 and had upper and lower jaw surgey on November 30th. Thanks to Brandy I had no brusing because i took Arnica and my swelling is reducing everyday thanks to the Bromelain. The only set back i had was that i had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic the hospital gave me and was covered from head to toe in hives for over 2 weeks :(

I did a search and couldn't find this covered already...
I have elastics and am really struggling with them. They are pulling my bite together as my bite didn't meet following the surgery. They are working as i can no longer fit my tongue between my molars when I bite down :) However, the left side of my mouth and lip rubs against the elastic when i speak and it has caused the inside of my mouth and my lip to swell. I also have a nasty ulcer as a result :( Does anyone have any advice? It's only happening on one side. It's become really painful to speak, but what is even worse is it's causing me to spit when i speak!

Sarah :)

mariahfromchicago

#2 Post by mariahfromchicago »

you might have a latex allergy?
Talk to the ortho! Don't hesitate!
Hope this helps! Glad your treatment is progressing! :) :thumbsup:
- mariah

cbushnaq

#3 Post by cbushnaq »

When the elastics were irritating my cheek I put lots of wax on the backets were the elastics were placed to make my cheek pull away to create a gap. I had to do that for about a week until my cheek healed. The downside to that is drooling from that side.

C.

WhistlerSarah

#4 Post by WhistlerSarah »

Thanks so much for the info and feedback. I took the elastics out after I called my Ortho. One of the Assistants rocked my world by meeting me at their office and providing me with non-latex elastics :) The swelling around my lips and inside mouth has almost gone!
I also found drinking lots of water helped - I guess a dry mouth is easier to irritate?
Thanks again!

mariahfromchicago

#5 Post by mariahfromchicago »

WhistlerSarah wrote:Thanks so much for the info and feedback. I took the elastics out after I called my Ortho. One of the Assistants rocked my world by meeting me at their office and providing me with non-latex elastics :) The swelling around my lips and inside mouth has almost gone!
I also found drinking lots of water helped - I guess a dry mouth is easier to irritate?
Thanks again!

whistlersarah -
glad you are feeling better. :D
- mariah