Brace comfort cover

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris1960

Brace comfort cover

#1 Post by Chris1960 »

I went over to dentakit to order, what else?, a dentakit and decided to try one of those comfort cover things that cover your braces. They're great. Wax always left me feeling like I had something stuck in my teeth and of course was a mess to take out. These covers are great. I can't actually wear the whole length around my arch because my arch takes a right angle at my canines. So I just cut a piece to surround the brackets on my incisors. It feels better than the wax. Some of you guys might want to try it.

lab117

#2 Post by lab117 »

I used the comfort covers at night when I had just a bare wire skipping over a tooth (needed to make space for the tooth to be moved into alignment). It took about a year to get enough room and all the wax in the world would not stay in place. The wire eventually just sliced through it and then on to my gums. I only wore the comfort covers at night... but it allowed me to get some relief and sleep... and also allowed my gums to heal a little before the next day.

I definately recommend the comfort covers when wax does not seem to be providing enough relief.

Chris1960

#3 Post by Chris1960 »

Yeah, I'm trying the weaning thing. Last night I slept w/o anything on my teeth. When I woke I almost felt like I didn't have braces at all. :jump:
But then as I went about my day, and the more a used my mouth, the more my bottom lip got sore.
I kinda like how they semi-hide the braces too. :oops:
Brackets off 6/5/08
Invisaligns on 7/28/08
(7 Week delay)
21 of 23 U&L (Skipped a tray/On a 10 day rotation)

Class II subdivision right
Moderate upper/lower crowding
Partial anterior crossbite
Normal overbite/overjet
Sentence: 18-20 months

LadyJ

#4 Post by LadyJ »

Did you order the actual "comfort covers" or the "lip protectors"? They look pretty similar and I'm trying to decide which to get.

Thanks!
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

lab117

#5 Post by lab117 »

I used the 'comfort covers'. I noticed that the lip protectors look very similar, but I have not seen this product.

I also used the regular comfort covers, but noticed you can get them for ceramic braces now. I have ceramic braces but did not find the regular covers to be much problem with them. However, they did not fit over the covers with hooks all that well, which might be solved with the covers for ceramics. (I am making the assumption they are slightly larger to fit a slightly larger bracket... I may be completely wrong about this assumption :oops: )

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, the ceramic bracket covers are slightly larger to fit over the larger brackets. They're made by a different company than the one that makes the comfort covers.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

I bought the lip protector covers from dentakit.com and used them quite frequently in the beginning. I liked how the Lip Protector covers clipped onto the arch wireso I could cover the long length of bare wire whie my wayward was hanging out away from the wire. I've grown out of using wax on any but the back of my archwires as they start to poke out. Plus, my front teeth have moved back so it seems that I have less chaffing of my lips to the brackets.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

XCrun&ride

#8 Post by XCrun&ride »

I saw those online and was interested in buying some. I think I'll wait until I get braces on the bottom, because the ones on the top aren't bothering me. Thanks for the recommendation!