First time getting braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyJ

#1 Post by LadyJ »

Hello, again!

I replied to your other thread, but I'll jump in here, too. :)

Dunno how the first day will be yet, as I'm not braced either. But have you been to the "First Day in Braces" stories on archwired.com proper? You can also head down to the "Our Braces Stories" folder to read everyone's journals. A LOT of them describe first days/weeks experiences.

Hope you find what you're looking for! :thumbsup:
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

wiredgrin

The big day expectations

#2 Post by wiredgrin »

Soon to be metalmouthmom? Welcome! I think many others here on the board do a fantastic job of preparing you for your big day, but of course each person's experience will be unique. Its a great resource here since getting braces as an adult can be very different if like you and I you did not have orthodontic treatment earlier in life. Be brave! javascript:emoticon(':roll:') I had a false start when my big day rolled around but things happen I guess. Your day should go smooth if your orthodontic team has done the job right of answering your questions? Some things about adult treatment will be constant however. In my case, I struggled a bit with the many puzzled looks from waiting parents. So far it never fails: Each time I am summoned to take that (not long enough) walk to the awaiting chairs, I feel the multiple pairs of eyes on me! Maybe because I go directly there from work in my suit and tie they think perhaps I am a sales person or just another anxious parent? Three of us in the crowded waiting room heard that polite "Are you ready?" invitation at the same time since afternoon appointments are difficult to get. You may want to get ready for that scrutiny, depending on what your orthodontist has set up office wise. Each time I have been back of course the sea of faces watching us hapless victims get wired, spacered and consulted changes! When is your big day maybe we can exchange notes? Are you having spacers put in and what kind of braces will you have? I gave my consent to a treatment plan that includes fixed appliance therapy that I am now pretty concerned about since only one other member here that I know of has had to wear two tongue thrusting devices attached to their buccal tubes, one upper and one lower. Any appliances on the horizon for you? Hope this helps and doesnt scare you off. I am sure you will get more insight soon from others here and what fun it will be getting a ticker tape up to count down the time to your big day in the chair! :lol:

CactusZAF

#3 Post by CactusZAF »

Hi, and WELCOME!!!

Something to bear in mind on (or even leading up to) your B-day is that the psychological effect we can have on ourselves is often more profound than the actual experience itself. What I'm trying to say is just relax and enjoy the journey (on my b-day I was so worked up by the time it was done, my hands were shaking. I'm not sure if this was due to my lifelong fear of dentists, or because the decision to get my teeth sorted after so many years became such a huge deal in my mind).
Another thing is the way you perceive the brackets as being massive (especially if you close your mouth over the brackets before the archwire is installed), they're not really so big, and you'll get used to them soon enough. Also expect your teeth to feel strangely "tight" after a few hours, the awareness of this "tight" feeling passes in time. Expect your teeth to start feeling tender/sore (not unbearably sore mind you) by the day after getting braced, this too passes in time, so don't panic that your gonna have this pain hanging around for the duration of treatment.

It's usually a good idea to ask your ortho what to do if you get a bracket that comes loose, or a pokey wire etc (for example should you make an appointment to get it sorted or will they accommodate you if you just arrive at the practice).

Like LadyJ said check out the main Archwired site for "First days in braces" it's really helpful and informative.

Good luck with your treatment :wink:

oneredcent

first few days of braces

#4 Post by oneredcent »

Well, I am on day 4 of having the top braces on. I am 39 and have teen age daughters in braces too! I was pretty afraid to go and I did come home and cry. Just have plenty of advil handy and be prepared to not eat or eat as soft of food as you can, applesauce, V8, etc. I am still on that. It was not bad putting them on it is the first couple of days getting used to it! Now, I am sure that I will be fine. I know that I will definitely miss my popcorn! Lots of luck

wiredgrin

The big day expectations

#5 Post by wiredgrin »

Soon to be metalmouthmom? Welcome! I think KK and others here on the board do a fantastic job of preparing you for your big day, but of course each person's experience will be unique. Its a great resource here since getting braces as an adult can be very different if like you and I you did not have orthodontic treatment earlier in life. Be brave! javascript:emoticon(':roll:') I had a false start when my big day rolled around but things happen I guess. Your day should go smooth if your orthodontic team has done the job right of answering your questions? Some things about adult treatment will be constant however. In my case, I struggled a bit with the many puzzled looks from waiting parents. So far it never fails: Each time I am summoned to take that (not long enough) walk to the awaiting chairs, I feel the multiple pairs of eyes on me! Maybe because I go directly there from work in my suit and tie they think perhaps I am a sales person or just another anxious parent? Three of us in the crowded waiting room heard that polite "Are you ready?" invitation at the same time since afternoon appointments are difficult to get. You may want to get ready for that scrutiny, depending on what your orthodontist has set up office wise. Each time I have been back of course the sea of faces watching us hapless victims get wired, spacered and consulted changes! When is your big day maybe we can exchange notes? Are you having spacers put in and what kind of braces will you have? I gave my consent to a treatment plan that includes fixed appliance therapy that I am now pretty concerned about since only one other member here that I know of has had to wear two tongue thrusting devices attached to their buccal tubes, one upper and one lower. Any appliances on the horizon for you? Hope this helps and doesnt scare you off. I am sure you will get more insight soon from others here and what fun it will be getting a ticker tape up to count down the time to your big day in the chair! :lol:

oneredcent

#6 Post by oneredcent »

I would not call mine a horror story! Maybe just a new weight loss plan!! But I am eating cottage cheese as I type. I can't chew anything hard. only had some soft bread, oatmeal and I did have a little lasagna last night.

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

The main ArchWired site has many pages of "first day" stories:

http://www.archwired.com/First_Day_in_Braces.htm

You should also read the Braces Primer pages:

http://www.archwired.com/Braces_Basics.htm
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

joney

#8 Post by joney »

One bit of advice that I got here that proved invaluable was to run my tongue around the very back of the brace to check that the wires have all been clipped right back. I'm very glad that I knew this piece of info on my brace day as there was a really pokey piece of wire and I went back in and got it trimmed. If I hadn't checked this then it would have been a very uncomfortable start to my brace journey.

The first few days are the toughest but pretty soon life gets back to normal.

Good luck
Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

It will be what you make it. If you know it will be horrible, it will. If you believe it will be a good thing, it will be. Remember this is something you are doing for yourself. No one is forcing you. Fundamentally, this is for yourself. No one else will benefit from your treatment than you.

My best advice is to take plenty of photos before brace day. After you've been through the process for a month, you'll be amazed at the progress.

My best advice, try to have fun.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.