Arch size discrepancy?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

Arch size discrepancy?

#1 Post by Lisa65 »

I just wondered if anybody had an arch size discrepancy develop as a result of treatment? When I started out, my top arch was kind of V-shaped and my lower arch was fairly rounded although a bit lop-sided and a bit too narrow. My ortho concentrated on my lower arch first while he waited for me to have my mini implants done to move my top molars. The lower arch rounded out some more and about 4 months ago my ortho said it was nearly done apart from gap closing, and put me in a finishing wire on the lowers. But in the meantime my top arch has grown and grown, and now it's loads wider than my lower arch! Last time I went for an adjustment, he said that the lower arch now needed to widen some more. He tweaked the lower archwire a bit to encourage it to widen, but I don't think it has, or certainly not much.

Since getting the headgear my top arch has got even wider, and I wonder what he's going to do about evening them up. My molars are almost in a class I now (one side is class I and the other side is about 3/4 of the way there - the HG is doing a grand job), and there will hopefully soon be enough space to pull my top front teeth back, but that's not going to narrow the top arch width at the molars.

Of course I will ask my ortho next time I go for an adjustment in 2 weeks, but I just wondered if anyone else had had a similar situation develop during treatment?

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi Lisa,

loads of issues here. But that is one question I have also. It even starts at my canines.
The distance between the uppers is about 5 mm more than it should be to have a good
fit with the lowers. My whole upper arch is also much too wide, or my lower arch is way
too narrow. But since I have this big open bite, I do not have an occlusion anyway, so
this is not an issue for me at this very moment. But I wonder too what will be done to
get this better. Now, in your case, as the upper arch will be moved backwards, the more
narrow front part will get a relation with the more wider parts of your lower arch. So, by
doing so, part of your issue will be resolved. Your ortho could also make the inner HG
bow some more narrow. It will very easily move the molars inwards a bit.

SinOnYourLips

#3 Post by SinOnYourLips »

I have a similar problem.

Af ew of the teeth in my upper arch that weren't in the alignment before, are now, and therefore my upper arch became wider. My lower arch though, is in a very straight arch which is why I didn't get lower braces, but now it seems my lower arch is smaller than the top one. So I also wondered about this issue.

One of the ortho's at my clinic told me I will be getting powerchains very soon, to push my jaw back slightly and close up any gaps left (now that the teeth have moved into spaces created for them).

So I'm guessing powerchains can help with this to a degree. I also have an adjustment in 2 weeks and will be asking my own ortho - whats up!?

Good luck and let me know what they tell you, I shall share as well. :D

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Glad it's not just me then. Sin, I will ask next time and share my info with you.

Clo, my ortho was originally going to give me a wider bow than I have now, but he said something about "oh, I'll give you this smaller one for now because it will be easier for you to fit and remove until you get used to it". He expanded it very slightly but it's still not as wide as the one he originally intended to give me. I don't really have any occlusion right now either. Only my premolars meet, and that's just an edge to edge contact made worse by the fact that the upper arch is much wider than the lower.

It does look as if the HG is intruding my upper molars though, so hopefully there's some good news there. it is certainly working to pull them back.

I guess I will have to wait for my appointment to find out what his plans are.