Quad Helix

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BenB

Quad Helix

#1 Post by BenB »

Hi Guys,

I recently got the spacers fitted and am awaiting the installation of the braces. I also require a quad helix, which through a bit of reading I realized they're generally installed before getting the braces. Is it normal that I will be getting both installed at the one time?

Also, just by viewing the pictures of the quad helix it can look quite scary, can anyone with experience let me know how they are to live with, i.e. pain, comfort etc. Is it more painful than braces?

Thanks in advance!

yaya2023

#2 Post by yaya2023 »

Hey my ortho did the same. I got my quad helix and both top and bottom all metal brackets on the same day. It was a bit overwhelming at first but by the end of the week I was ok. It takes some getting used to like anything else but it is totally worth it. I only had to wear my expander for 3 months cause I had a small cross bite. Pain wise... it makes you sore... watch ur tongue it can get raw on it ... try big globs of wax if you need it on the coils. All in all it wasnt too bad. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask :)

BenB

#3 Post by BenB »

Thanks for the reply!

So far the spaces haven't hurt much I just have to watch what bite down on and make sure i don't clinch my teeth. I think I have the same problem as you with a small cross bite which caused overcrowding. Did the pain last long from the quad helix or is it like other things and just takes 2-3 to get used to? I've got a holiday planned for 3 weeks after I get my braces and am hoping I wont be in pain the whole time! :lol:

centella04

#4 Post by centella04 »

I had my quad for 6 months and had it put in a few weeks after getting my uppers and lowers. I did some reading up beforehand too and was worried since most people seemed to have the quad for a few months, then braces. I asked my ortho and he basically said that it was perfectly fine and the order is specific to each patient and the treatment they need. (Whew!)

As for the pain...I found it more frustrating and uncomfortable than painful - in the beginning. Expect to have a bit of a lisp for a few days...this will be interesting. The first time you eat will probably feel weird. It's the whole foreign-object thing though - you know it's there, you just aren't used to it yet. Just keep this in mind though - in about 2 weeks time, you'll forget it's in there, and it'll be out before you know it. :D

cosmicgirl

#5 Post by cosmicgirl »

Hi Ben!
I'm also due to get a quad helix fitted - 19 Jan. I've had braces since mid September and now that my alignment issues are out of the way it's time to concentrate on my crossbite... here's hoping that's as easily resolved!

I have no idea how long it'll be in for but am all geared up for it being a nuisance... I have completely overeaten the past fortnight, so am looking forward to pureed mush and losing a few pounds! :jokerlaugh
:

Skates

#6 Post by Skates »

HI Ben...

Got my quad at the beginning of December. It hurt for a short while, but I discovered the joy of orajel. Also lost some weight due to it. Yay.

As for talking, I speak for a living so let me tell you, it wasn't easy.

But I hope to have it off next month or March...

BenB

#7 Post by BenB »

Thanks for the welcomes and replies people :D

Got my impression for the quad this friday and then everything gets fitted the friday after :) Spacers have become a breeze to live with which I'm happy with considering alot of people have had trouble with them

BenB

#8 Post by BenB »

Got my braces and quad helix fitted today, I must say the braces feel fine the only issue is my tongue is getting very raw on the coils of the quad helix. Ah well hopefully i'll get used to it soon!

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

Sorry it's making your tongue sore Ben. You might want to try rinsing with warm salt water and/or diluted hydrogen peroxide. One of those over the counter local anaesthetic products might be helpful too until your tongue toughens up.

I didn't have a quad but I had a nance with spring thingys and for about a week my tongue felt like it had been burned. I now have calluses in those spots lol.

I hope your tongue soon gets used to its new companion and that you adjust OK to your braces.

cosmicgirl

#10 Post by cosmicgirl »

well the quad has been on for three hours and my tongue is ripped to shreds... and I have the lithp from hell AND I've been "elasticated" - top to bottom canines, as well as having all the brackets taken off and repositioned. What a morning!
Just been reading through this thread again, and thanks to those suggesting salt water rinsing and waxing the coils. Off to do that now, then I'm getting stuck in in the kitchen to make gallons of soup...
:(

BenB

#11 Post by BenB »

cosmicgirl wrote:well the quad has been on for three hours and my tongue is ripped to shreds... and I have the lithp from hell AND I've been "elasticated" - top to bottom canines, as well as having all the brackets taken off and repositioned. What a morning!
Just been reading through this thread again, and thanks to those suggesting salt water rinsing and waxing the coils. Off to do that now, then I'm getting stuck in in the kitchen to make gallons of soup...
:(
This is my third day of having the helix on and i'm still lisping! :lol: I've tried putting the wax on the coils but i'm struggling to get it to stick, it's also difficult to eat, as centella04 said it's the whole foreign-object thing.

cosmicgirl

#12 Post by cosmicgirl »

Are you drooling too BenB? The lisping thing is awful, but it's the amount of spit I'm projecting that's beginning to bother me.. :(
I was feeling totally fed up, but have taken a couple of painkillers and the difference they've made is staggering! I merely sounded drunk before, now I feel it too...

BenB

#13 Post by BenB »

Yep i'm also producing alot of saliva which is the worst part, I keep having to swallow which forces my tongue to rub on the coil and now i've developed an ulcer.. I can't see myself getting used to it, people have told me the lisping will get better but it hasn't..

ssfw

#14 Post by ssfw »

Hi Ben,

I had the same problem as you had with the Quad-Helix. I had the quad helix for 5 months before my upper braces were placed, 4 months after that I had my lower braces placed.

Try taking a Q-tip and applying hydrogen peroxide directly on the sore areas, including your tongue. My orthodontist's assistant gave me this recommendation and it did wonders. Also use wax on the areas that keep rubbing on your cheek/tongue, etc. I remember I had an appt. within a couple weeks after the quad-helix was placed, just to see how I was doing with the quad-helix, I was so glad I had this appt. already scheduled. My orthodontist asked me how I was doing and I told him about my sore tongue - he took a look and I could tell he felt bad for me. Of what I recall, the soreness went away within about 3-4 weeks. I was told that my mouth was adjusting to having the quad-helix (foreign object) in my mouth. After the soreness went away, I was fine with the quad-helix. I had it in for about 1 year and I got so use to it - it wouldn't have mattered tome if it was in there for the entire time of my ortho treatment, but I do admit, it felt good to have it out of my mouth :D .

Good luck and I hope I have helped in some way.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

BenB

#15 Post by BenB »

Thanks alot ssfw, i'll give that a try. Can I also ask how long you had the lisp for? :D