shape of the mouth change?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

shape of the mouth change?

#1 Post by poloaa »

I had braces since may.2006. Some people have not seen me for so long and they saw my pix and told me that my face looks so slim becoz of my braces. Is that true that the face shape also changes after we have braces?? when i look at the pix, i notice that my face look little bit longer than before, is that weird??
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

SandraJones

#2 Post by SandraJones »

Your bite likely changes during treatment and that can easily cause changes in the position of your mandible, including causing it to be dropped down a bit more.

I also wonder about the shape of the lips, especially the upper lip. If you had a constricted upper arch and now it's more rounded, that could affect the upper lip appearance and create change in your overall appearance, possibly making other parts of your face look different because of the change of proportion.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

BrandonH

#3 Post by BrandonH »

My upper arch is going to be expanded and the teeth in my lower arch will definitely be pushed out so I fully expect a different facial appearance. It will be subtle, most likely.

I think it will be a good thing, too :)

poloaa

#4 Post by poloaa »

Some people tell me my cheek bones look bigger than before? I had an arch on my upper teeth for about 6 months.
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months