Calling all current and past wax users!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

islandbabe715

Calling all current and past wax users!

#1 Post by islandbabe715 »

I thought it would be interesting to see how much (if any) wax everyone has used in their treatments so far.

I'll start it off by saying that 17 months in so far, I have never used wax for my braces at all.
Anyone else weird like me?

phae

#2 Post by phae »

I'm three weeks into my treatment, and I've gone through almost a whole package! Not for the brackets or wires, just for the sharp bits on the inside of my molar bands. Those get filed off tomorrow, so maybe I won't need any more from here on out. :)

Chris1960

#3 Post by Chris1960 »

Can't live w/o it. Tried, didn't work. Learned better ways to apply.
Brackets off 6/5/08
Invisaligns on 7/28/08
(7 Week delay)
21 of 23 U&L (Skipped a tray/On a 10 day rotation)

Class II subdivision right
Moderate upper/lower crowding
Partial anterior crossbite
Normal overbite/overjet
Sentence: 18-20 months

SinOnYourLips

#4 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Almost 10 months rarely use wax, but when I do I use alot haha. So far almost 2 small packages (actually used some today and noticed I was finishing up my second one) but no worries already have third one ready and packed in my dental kit :D

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I've been in braces for over a year and never used wax!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

gwynneth23

#6 Post by gwynneth23 »

Hm, 11 weeks into treatment for my upper teeth only. Have probably used about 4 packets? (Hard to tell exactly, because I have part-used packets on the go all over the place - one in work, one in my handbag, one in my weekend bag, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen... you get the idea :) )

I almost always have some on the end of the wire where it pokes out at the back, and sometimes I need it at the front, where the ceramic brackets rub on the inside of my lips.

You must all be very hardy types! I am never more than 3 ft away from my trusty wax!

minlou01

#7 Post by minlou01 »

Two packages in seven months of treatment.

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

mottsrods

#8 Post by mottsrods »

I am almost a month into it, and havn't used any in about a week...But then again, my headgear keeps my cheeks off of the brackets for the most part.
Stick a fork In me.......I'm Done!

LilRedPitViper

#9 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I think I used about 2 packs of it at the beginning of my teatment. I'm a little over 6 months into it, and I haven't used it in months now. I remember thinking at the beginning that I wouldn't ever be able to live without it. I'm glad I was wrong! :D

acd

#10 Post by acd »

I used a very small amount at the beginning but haven't used any in well over a year.

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm not quite sure how many total but I know I ate about 2 packs...
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

cosmicgirl

#12 Post by cosmicgirl »

:shock: Can't BELIEVE some of you have NEVER needed it! I break out in a cold sweat if I'm more than a yard away from a pack! I thought my mouth would have toughened up by now, but no...
Perhaps ceramics have sharper edges? Or perhaps I'm just a wimp?
Can't live without the stuff I'm afraid...

TsuKata

#13 Post by TsuKata »

I tend to use 2 packs after each adjustment, within the first week. Then, I go through 1-2 packs for the rest of the month.

I bought a bulk pack of orthosil (30 packs) within a week of getting the braces on, and it's been the best investment. I'm so glad that I don't have to worry about conserving wax. I keep packs in my desk, my car, and everywhere in my house.
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL

MamaRoo

#14 Post by MamaRoo »

I have had my braces for 6 months... and have rarely used any wax... maybe in the first few days... but haven't since then...

The ortho's office gave me 4 packs of wax... and haven't even used a 1/4 of a pac....

discomom

#15 Post by discomom »

I have been in braces since October 29, and I have gone through 2 packs!! I only need it around 1-2 weeks before my adjustment. It's strange, cause the rest of the month I am fine. Who knows...